10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 10:50 AM by Brian Dalton

Draw Card populate

Mauro Morbidelli
      A lot of variable's values are the same in the part card and the draw card. I would like to avoid a twin insert data process. It's possible to populate the Drawings Card data fields with the same values from the part data card values ?
      Thanks
        • Draw Card populate
          Jeff Sweeney
          You can do it...but it is too hard to describe here. They have the process pretty well spelled out on page 240 of the Administration manual.
          • Draw Card populate
            Mauro Morbidelli
            excuse me but i've not found yet the spelled out process on page 240 . Do you speak about the PDF document "Administration guide "? Could you tell me the page reference from the PDF document ? thanks
            • Re: Draw Card populate
              Brian Dalton

Has this process changed with the 2010 beta?  I found the instructions in the Admin Guide and followed them to the letter, but nothing shows up in my drawing card.  Actually, two of the fields populate, one with the correct value and another with weird data from some unknown source.

The field that populates correctly does not include the $PRPSHEET attribute that the Admin Guide says is needed.  The field for which I created that attribute gives me nothing.

What the ???

Brian-

Brian Dalton

I've attached an image of the mapping I'm using.  I created the $PRPSHEET mapping for the slddrw extension and removed the slddrw extension from the CustomProperty mapping.  Is this not correct?

The Revision property of the Part file comes through in its file card, but I just can't get it to propagate over to the card for the dwg.  Most puzzling.

PS, I do have the Revision variable attached to the text control on both data cards...

Brian-

Brian Dalton

After more research, it seems the problem was that I didn't have the EPDM Add-In running (the Admin Guide does explicitly mention that this is necessary, but I had apparently glossed over that part).

The strange thing is that once I change the value in the part card, it won't update in the drawing card until I

• check out the drawing
                    • open the drawing
                    • save the drawing
                    • check in the drawing

This is not only a pain, but also causes versioning of the drawing, which I would like to avoid unless absolutely necessary.

One interesting point:  With the draw card updating from the part custom property in this way, I notice that when I open the drawing, it is immediately flagged as having been modified, even before I do anything to it.  Presumably that's because it has 'modified' itself by updating to the custom property of the part.

Brian-

It's by design. EPDM can't update a card for a file while the file is checked in. Also, the file needs to be versioned because, well, it is a new version because something changed with the file.

Something to keep in mind; if a file is checked out, and there hasn't been a modification done to it, the system performs a 'Undo Checkout' on the file. I ran into that little gotcha a few times when getting started.

If you do not like how this works, there is another option that I done for customers before SEPDM added this functionality. What I did was write an add-in for SolidWorks. What this add-in did was monitor when a user saved a drawing. Just before the save, it would get the referenced document custom properties values and copy the vaules to the drawing file custom properties.