6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 12:30 PM by John Christensen

Tab alignments

Joshua Berger

When taking notes done in Word and transferring them to Solidworks, there is a loss of the ability to use the tab key to set up alignment as is done using Word. Short of continuing to use Word, is there a way to allow for multiple alignment point on the same line?

In the attached photo, the version done in Word is on the right. This specifically refers to when is going on in note 7.

Notes-Tab.PNG

• Re: Tab alignments
          Glenn Schroeder

Joshua Berger wrote:

When taking notes done in Word and transferring them to Solidworks, there is a loss of the ability to use the tab key to set up alignment as is done using Word. Short of continuing to use Word, is there a way to allow for multiple alignment point on the same line?

In the attached photo, the version done in Word is on the right. This specifically refers to when is going on in note 7.

Hitting your space bar the same amount of times at the beginning of each line is the only way I'm aware of.

Joshua Berger

Tab works on the start of the lines exactly as expected, as it mimes the indent function that is already present. I am more looking at being able to align secondary, tertiary, etc. indents once past the indentation. You can get very close using the space bar, but that only adds a specific amount to the line, allowing for vertical misalignment when the secondary indent/tab is desired. This is why Word is referenced, as you can set up a secondary indent and have those words aligned.
              The reason I am trying to get out of using Word (and Excel) is that when we publish the prints here, those objects get fuzzy and sometimes are near unreadable. I understand that they were the preferred method in the past, but it seems with Solidworks finally adding paragraph and line spacing options, this should have been similar in code implementation.

Steven Mills

I've had to remove the bulletins/numbering from word and transfer straight text. But then once in SW, I just add the bulletins/numbering back in with paragraph properties and it's all good.

I suspect this has something to do with the linked notes. Billeting a note allows you to add and control the content of each line to the note bank. Anyone else know more details?

Joshua Berger

I think more than anything, I'm looking at note 7, where there are separate groups of text. where even vertical alignment is kind of a nice thing on the second and third groups of text. The first aligns exactly as intended.

John Christensen

Changing fonts used in word or SW would alter how spacings are handled:

"A monospaced font, also called a fixed-pitch, fixed-width, or non-proportional font, is a font whose letters and characters each occupy the same amount of horizontal space. [...] Examples of monospaced fonts include Courier, Courier New, Lucida Console, Monaco, and Consolas."

4.jpg