23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 6:03 PM by David Crockett

I am locked out of using 2018

Rick Becker

I downloaded and installed 2018SP0.1.

Running 2018 requires an upgrade to the License Manager.

Tried to upgrade License Manager on our server and...

The server version is old and not supported. (MS Server 2008 R2)

There is no way we will update the server operation system at this time.

My option is to install license Manager on a workstation and have all other workstations communicate directly to it over our network.

I call this a work-around.

Each installation of SW (each version) needs to be pointed to the new license manager.

I get there are limits to how far back comparability can go, but FRUSTRATION!!!

• Re: I am locked out of using 2018
          John Stoltzfus

Workaround ?? - is it a workaround if that's the only way to do it?????   Any different from some of the day to day operations....

I got caught in that as well, took our VAR about 21.56 seconds to get me going again..

Andy Sanders

Thanks for the heads up.  We're also running our license from a 2008 server.

We have another server online we can use that's on 2012, so we can move over to that when we upgrade.

BUT, apparently 2012 is on borrowed time now too.

Steven Richmond

Just looking at the release notes for 2018 and it appears this will be last release that supports Windows Server 2012 (R2 has an extra year) as well as Excel/Word 2010

SOLIDWORKS 2018 SP0 Release Notes

Anna Wood

How many people to you support with SolidWorks on the license server?

I ask because you do not need a server class computer to run license servers if you are supporting a low number of users.

We run our license server from a Dell Optiplex 3040 Micro Desktop system with a Windows Pro OS.  Nothing special and cheap.

Rick Becker

Anna Wood wrote:

Nothing special and cheap.

Hi Anna, That is what the plan is now.

We have 5 licenses. SW is installed on 10 computers. 4 of those computers have 3 versions installed.

I want the license Manager on the the server because it is convenient for me. The server is on 24/7/365.4 When the server is down (for any reason) I am unable to work on my workstation. Having it on the server serves me. (apparently it's all about me)

If I want to use 2018 anytime in the next year, I will need to load on some other computer. We have a time-clock computer that runs almost 24/7/365. It tends to freeze up once a month and requires a hard boot. This computer is just a run of the mill Windows7 business class computer. I will install the License Manager on this computer.

It's just frustrating, disappointing and irritating that we need to jump thru such hoops. (Tea, Yea I get it security, newer/better/faster requires upgrades) I need to go to each computer and each version to tell the local license manager where the license server has moved to.

Anna Wood

My license server (the cheap $500 Dell computer) is on 24/7/365 and is sitting on the desk behind me.  Easy for me to maintain.  Nothing else runs on it but our SolidWorks license server, AutoCAD license server, CAMWorks license server and our Minitab license server.

Low electrical consumption as it runs off a 65 watt power brick.

We support a few more computers then you with the cheap Dell.

Yes, it sucks to have to re-point to the license server.  Have had to do that a few times through the years.  I have to hit up 15 or so computers around the facility.  Gives me a chance to chat with folks to see how things are going.  Amazing what I find out are nagging issues on their systems that are usually a quick fix for me or our IT person.

Dennis Dohogne

Anna Wood wrote:

<snip>
                            I have to hit up 15 or so computers around the facility. Gives me a chance to chat with folks to see how things are going. Amazing what I find out are nagging issues on their systems that are usually a quick fix for me or our IT person.

It is also amazing to learn how long folks have suffered through these minor/major problems without telling anyone.  Good for you, Anna, and for your company, that you are exposing and fixing these things.

Josh Brady

It's just frustrating, disappointing and irritating that we need to jump thru such hoops. (Tea, Yea I get it security, newer/better/faster requires upgrades) I need to go to each computer and each version to tell the local license manager where the license server has moved to.

So what would YOU think is a reasonable support lifetime? 20 years?  It seems to me that your vitriol is misdirected.  You should be looking at your own IT department. 

John Stoltzfus

Josh Brady - Most small companies look at an inside IT guy the same way as you would look at your auto mechanic sitting beside you as you go to town to pickup some pringles...

Rick Becker

Josh Brady wrote:

... It seems to me that your vitriol is misdirected. You should be looking at your own IT department.

Ouch! That is quite some word there...

vit·ri·ol

ˈvitrēəl,ˈvitrēˌôl/

noun
                                  cruel and bitter criticism.

In our case, it's not the IT department per say. it's upper management not wanting to spend any money that they don't have to.

Now that I think about it, it may well be our IT department because we keep the computers working so well day after day after month after year that an upgrade, for the sake of upgrading, is unnecessary.

BTW, the IT department is the office manager and myself doing only what we need to do after doing everything else we do in our titled job, plus an outside firm that provides us what and when we need it.

Is it really so bad that we keep the computers running without interruption AND without upgrading?

Josh Brady

Not keeping up with the times or upgrading things on a somewhat regular basis can end up biting you in the rear.  This is an extreme example, but my division of a previous company had critical systems that they knew needed upgrading for YEARS and never actually did it. Whenever other departments’ legacy systems died or got replaced, our department scavenged the hardware to keep the dinosaur going (without interruption AND without upgrading). Then the guy who created the old system and  should have been upgrading things all along got booted.  Then we were screwed and ended up getting a hacked-up version of another division’s similar system that was halfway supported and harder to use than the dinosaur.

Peter De Vlieger

We didn't get caught by the entire server thing but only because I kept track of requirements and warned our IT.

I only just now found out about the upcoming shifting requirements about Office.

And must admit that I'm not amused as no doubt lots of people aren't.

Not only does one need to keep buying new graphics cards, which at times means new computers because the old one isn't certified by SW to work with it, one also has to get new additional software and by extension even OS so as to run SW. And both hardware and software can make it mandatory to upgrade to a newer OS (with warts and all).

I can well imagine there being lots of small and not so small businesses having an issue with that.

I for one don't find it normal nor reasonable to have one software dictating how long another software is good for.

Especially considering that it only needs a fraction of it's capabilities.

E.g.: SW should easily be able to have it's spreadsheet functionality untied from Excel if they wanted to but I guess their contract with MS forbids it.

Josh Brady

Peter De Vlieger wrote:

E.g.: SW should easily be able to have it's spreadsheet functionality untied from Excel if they wanted to but I guess their contract with MS forbids it.

Are you saying that you expect SW should be able to "easily" create their own spreadsheet program/functionality inside SolidWorks?  One with all the capabilities that Excel currently has? 

Peter De Vlieger

Josh,

Are you saying that you expect SW should be able to "easily" create their own spreadsheet program/functionality inside SolidWorks? One with all the capabilities that Excel currently has?

1. No, I don't think that they have the manpower or the capability to do that. But then again why should they?

2. it doesn't need all the capabilities of Excel.That's the point. How many Excel functions does Solidworks really use? I bet it even uses less then the Excel functions that most of us use day to day.

So would it be such a stretch of them adjusting the code so that one could use it with a replacement instead of being locked to Office? Even, dare I say it, an open source replacement? For that matter, they could no doubt buy something so that they have full control over it without needing to re-invent it from scratch just like they did with Draftsight.

Do you enjoy it that one has to keep replacing hardware and software every few years just to accommodate the newer version of SW, so as to keep up with the Joneses, without guarantee that there will be an improvement in stability or functionality that you'll actually use ?

Josh Brady

Peter De Vlieger wrote:

1. No, I don't think that they have the manpower or the capability to do that. But then again why should they?

They shouldn't.

2. it doesn't need all the capabilities of Excel.That's the point. How many Excel functions does Solidworks really use? I bet it even uses less then the Excel functions that most of us use day to day.

Here's where you're missing the point.  SolidWorks doesn't use so many Excel functions.  SolidWorks allows the user to use Excel functions to generate output in spreadsheet form.  SolidWorks then takes that data generated by Excel and uses it.  I know of users that have created exceptionally powerful design tables leveraging many of the functions of Excel.

So would it be such a stretch of them adjusting the code so that one could use it with a replacement instead of being locked to Office?

Supporting a different spreadsheet program would not simply be a matter of "adjusting" code.  It's not a simple matter.

Even, dare I say it, an open source replacement?

Umm, no.  I don't want to have to learn a different spreadsheet program just so I can use design tables. That's dumb. Like it or not, Excel is essentially the de-facto standard spreadsheet program out there.

For that matter, they could no doubt buy something so that they have full control over it without needing to re-invent it from scratch just like they did with Draftsight.

Do you want to pay extra for SolidWorks just so you don't have to use Excel?

Do you enjoy it that one has to keep replacing hardware and software every few years just to accommodate the newer version of SW, so as to keep up with the Joneses, without guarantee that there will be an improvement in stability or functionality that you'll actually use ?

If you don't want to upgrade, then don't.  Otherwise, you gotta upgrade other stuff at some point.  If SW doesn't support the latest version of Office/Windows/etc, you can bet plenty of folks are going to complain!  At some point you have to stop supporting old stuff.  The more old stuff you support, while still having to support new stuff, the more it costs to support it.  How much extra would you be willing to pay for SW to support Office 2000?  I doubt it would be more than a new license for Office for yourself... 

Peter De Vlieger

Josh Brady wrote:

Here's where you're missing the point. SolidWorks doesn't use so many Excel functions.

That is exactly the point. As far as i can tell Solidworks doesn't use any Excel function. It sends data to Excel to populate cells.Some cells get used by Excel to calculate and put a value in another cell. And then Solidworks reads the data of those cells and uses the row and column lead to determine the name of the config and the variable that the data should belong to. There for it's solely a matter of 'translating' how to read and write data out of cells out of any speadsheet program. The question then is what's the difference between doing that for Office 2003 and Office 2016?

To me it sounds just as artificial as to why SW 2010 can't open any SW 2018 files, even if no new functionality was used to it,even if the 2018 file is just an 2010 file that was opened and saved in 2018.

You might not have an issue throwing money at Software companies willy nilly. That's your choice.

But I can't help but feeling perturbed for being forced to buy new new servers, new server OS, new Office products, new graphic card, new workstation, new OS, without any real benefit or improvement to the user except of being able to open the files of other users that made the jump to the 'newest' version of the same program.

Markku Lehtola

Upgrading one software and expecting that it will support other old ones like "for ever" is going to cost you probably as much as upgrading all software. The difference between "support" and "upgrade" is so small after all..and every company wants money in either case, because they are working for it...

About Excel. Design table without Excel has been done. It worked at least with OpenOffice and LibreOffice and had actually more features than the current one. For example, every model in assembly structure could be handled straight through one spreadsheet. Haven't tried to use it for a while, don't know it it still works with SW18. Should not be a problem to a good programmer to create a such tool again.

Brandon Espinoza

I just got it installed on 2008R2.

How to:

Open the 2018 installer on a supported system. (i.e. win 7, which is literally the same thing as 2008r2, but i won't get started on that right now...)

Select Server Products and Select "Install SolidNetWork License Manager on this computer" - Next

Enter in your license key. - Next

Let it download, and close the installer when it's finished.

Browse to C:\Users\*user*\Documents\SOLIDWORKS Downloads\ and copy the 2018 folder to your 2008r2 server.

On the 2008R2 server, download the Windows 10 SDK from here:

Windows 10 SDK - Windows app development

Choose to install only "MSI Tools"

Once installed, browse to

C:\Users\*user*\Downloads\Windows Kits\10\WindowsSDK\Installers\ and double click "Orca-x86_en-us.msi" (It might not seem like it, but Orca is now installed)

Goto your copied SWX2018 folder from above and browse to:

C:\Users\*user*\Documents\SOLIDWORKS Downloads\Solidworks 2018 SP0X\swlicmgr\

Right click "Solidworks SolidNetWork License Manager.msi" and click "Edit with Orca"

Inside of Orca, one the left side, find the table named "LaunchCondition" - right click it, and select "Drop Table" - Click yes to confirm - Click the save icon at the top of Orca.

Finally, go back to C:\Users\*user*\Documents\SOLIDWORKS Downloads\Solidworks 2018 SP0X\swlicmgr\ and run setup.exe.

Enjoy your license managers on 2008R2!

David Crockett

your IT department can also push out a GPO that updates the license server on all PCs through a registry edit.  

sorry to bump on old thread but thank you for the trick on getting it to work on 2008 R2.