6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 2:20 PM by Ron Bates

Environments and Backplates

Jake Bakerin

Are there any extra environments and backplate samples I would use for different applications such as small parts for office

The available scenes are good for vehicles or large parts?

• Re: Environments and Backplates
          Rich Fagioli

I've made my own backplates, but their application is not easy. You'd have to know in advance exactly what your scene is to look like, photograph it, then carefully render your model into your scene. You may even need to construct an environment that duplicates your scene's lighting. My example below would perhaps be a lot like yours; placing a hand-sized product in a typical office-like environment. In my case, I'm putting some flanges on a lab cart in a room with crappy fluorescent lighting.

1) To create your backplate, take a photo of your setting and adjust it (photoshop) until you like it:

Feedthrough Background 3.jpg

2) Insert your backplate into your render project. Now comes the hard part: adjusting perspective, camera angle, and shadows. Here, I've rendered a number of stainless steel vacuum flanges, and tilted, rotated, bent, turned, scaled, re-tilted again, and re-adjusted them a couple thousand times more such that their perspective matches that of the other parts.

Sub-D Gathering on Parts Cart 4.jpg

3) When done incorrectly, your part will look like it's floating in space. Also note how bogus the reflections are; they accurately reflect off one another....but do not reflect the backplate. The best I can do at this point is to remove the reflections and simply add correctly aligned (and consistent) floor shadowing and just call it a learning experience!

Sub-D Gathering on Parts Cart.jpg

Hope that helps!

• Re: Environments and Backplates
            Ron Bates

Yeah.  You really can't fake this very well without a lot of work... 

As Brian said, the pro's will create backplates (with known camera locations and camera settings) at the very same time they capture the HDR itself.  This is the only way to guarantee you have lighting/shadowing that matches the environment and the camera information to frame the object using correct perspective.

If you have a high enough resolution HDR, you can fake this OK with the Flatten Floor option.

You can try Public Domain 2D HDR Maps  as well.

Or SIBL Labs: sIBL Archive