4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 11:14 AM by Robert Weimer

PDF version of mirrored view is not correct has anyone experienced this?

Robert Weimer

So I created a drawing mirroring all the views from another drawing, and that just about worked as well as it could, sure I had to rearrange a couple of dimensions, but for the most part, it worked.  I was shocked that something from Solidworks actually worked as the tech people touted in one of the many seminars I attend.  Just as I was about to sing the praises of mirroring views to some of my colleagues, I checked a pdf file that I made from the drawing that contains all of the mirrored views.  The pdf version flips all of my "faked in hidden lines" in the view.  I would have liked to just include all of the hidden lines, then hiding the ones I didn't want, but the lines are so numerous that I just decided to make a sketch and convert the lines I wanted In the view.  Anyway, check out the 2 separate files, and you will see that the hidden lines are not the same.  Has anyone had this happen to them, and how would you suggest solving this issue?  Should I just get rid of them and make a new sketch, or can I expect this to happen no matter what I do in this view.

While I wait for anyone to reply, I'm going to try and redo the sketch from new and see if that helps, but the underlying annoyance still exist, so I would still like to know if this happens to anyone else, and how you have combatted this in the past.  Typically, I would only give a glancing look at the PDFs I have made of the actual drawing, but since the pdf is the document that goes out to the customer, I will now need to inspect very closely what results I get out of the system.  This seems to be a reoccurring theme for the Solidworks world as far as I can tell.  In the last month, I have run into several things that are just shaky to me, but it seems like everyone is O.K. with it so I was hoping that this is yet another thing that all the users know about, but just snicker when they hear about it but have another method to get around it.

• Re: PDF version of mirrored view is not correct has anyone experienced this?
          Alex Lachance

Hello John,

Make sure the layer you drew the lines on is set to printable. You can view your layers by adding the ''Line format'' toolbar and then pressing this button.

You can tell if it's printable by looking at the little printer, if the sheet is blueish, it's a printable layer. If the sheet is white, it's a layer that won't print.

Robert Weimer

Hey thanks for that, the layer with my hidden lines is printable, and they are printing, but the arcs are displaying the opposite or missing portion of the arc to the associated circle even though there was never an associated circle created by me anyway.

I do thank you for the info however, I was kind of wondering how to display layers on the screen that I didn't want to print with the pdf or paper version.  Up until now, I was clicking on the "eye" and turning the entire layer off and on as I needed it.  I guess I should have figured out that the printer icon would actually do what I wanted in this regard, but for some reason I was looking past the printer icon.

Alex Lachance

Hey Robert,

It sounds to me like the entities you drew might not be mated. When you do your save as a PDF, it probably prompts you for a rebuild and I believe something in your rebuild would cause your line to flip in the midst of the rebuild.

I think the rebuild happens, creates the bug, pauses the rebuild to create the PDF, the PDF creates itself, then the rebuild finishes, bringing your entities back to the correct position and not the flipped one.

I've never encountered this before though as I don't often work with sketches in drawings. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Robert Weimer

Boy I had hope for this last idea.  Even though I believe that a converted entity should already be fully locked in.  So I added all the needed constraints to lock it in which the program accepted. Yet another thing I need to watch for, I didn't expect to be able to constrain the entities anymore, but in the end it gave me the business behind the wood shed with the shovel handle dipped in vinegar then made me say "I love you".

I finally gave in and just displayed the hidden line view.  It took forever to hide all of the hidden lines that I didn't want.  Now the view looks the way in the pdf as it does in the Solidworks drawing file.

I'm going to put down the mirrored view as a possible thing to do unless I am playing games with a sketch in a view.  Typically, I wouldn't put a sketch in a view unless I was only going to display 10 of the 100 hidden lines contained within that view, but I got disciplined by the program for trying to save time in that regard.  Oh well, at least the mirrored thing saved time and the drawings look very similar which is almost a win in my book.