AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to create Cavity with Specific Body (Tool Body)

Question asked by Michael Fernando on Nov 1, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 by Michael Fernando

Hi Guys / Gals

After 4 years away, I’m starting to work again with Solidworks. In those 4 years I have been working only with Siemens NX/ug.

Back with SWx, I’m trying to apply the methods and working process widely used in NX and to see if there are better ways to work.

Boolean operations are a primary solid body creation method in NX. Basically, there is no CUT feature there.

Now I want to use SWx, Cavity to create pockets for the mating components. In NX each component got True (=the component) and False (=tool /pocket) bodies. When I execute Pocketing tool, NX runs through the components and subtracts any interfering False bodies. (There are few more other steps needed when designating False bodies,) 

Please check the attachment; In Solidworks 2017, I created two bodies in a part and made configurations. But Cavity changes with the active configuration body at that moment/instance. I’m unable to specify the specific cavity configuration. In another word, I’m unable to specify False (tool) body and retain it.

If I'm not mistaken, sometime ago I tried this method in  SWx a few versions back and it worked.

With SWx 2017, is it a glitch or have I forgotten anything specific?

Michael Fernando (CSWE)

www.solidCADworks.com

SWX_CAVITY.png

Attachments

Outcomes