40 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 1:57 PM by Don Van Schoelandt

2009 Text Input is Slooooooooooooow

Derek Christians
      Since upgrading to 2009 (from 2007) it seems any text input (ie dimensions, balloons) has slowed way down. In 2007 I could double-click a dimension and immediately start typing the new value. Even if SW was behind, it would catch up and capture everything I typed. Now in 2009, it takes several second before I can type anything. I screw up dozens of dimensions everyday, because I double-click, type and hit enter only to realize SW only captured the last couple of digits - .0625 is a lot different than 625.
      Has anyone else seen this, or am I just losing my mind?
        • 2009 Text Input is Slooooooooooooow
          Steve Crompton
          I get that too.

Steve
            Jon Vacura
            I've had that problem since 08. It was frustrating at first, but now I've just gotten use to waiting...
            JV
              Matthew Lorono
              Time for a bug report.
                Charles Culp
                I have the same issue. Most people don't. It has to do with your hardware, and I assume video card. There was a long thread discussing this with the release of 2008, I will see if I can find it. First step is to change your video drivers. http://www.solidworks.com/sw/s.../videocardtesting.html

http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...atid=24&threadid=10704
                  Jeff Mowry
                  I had to start using v2008 (used v2007 all this time) just last week for a project and noticed exactly the same thing with it. The silly fade-in input window totally fails to record what I type, most commonly dropping the decimal for dimensions and hosing my sketches. Instead of picking up .75" it sees 75". Lots of Undo, waiting, and retyping.

Video drivers are up-to-date on my machine, and my card has no notes mentioned on the SW site, such as "Warning: Use this driver and you might experience inexplicable lag in capturing text input."

How is this "up to 65% faster" again? Maybe I missed that part. (I was hoping this problem wouldn't continue into v2009. Seriously, how difficult is it to capture keystrokes? SolidWorks 1997 had no problem with this.) I'm getting tired of being bogged down by these little twinkle effects like fade-in dialog boxes. If this is the cause of the problem, please allow me an option to opt out.

Charles Culp
                    Jeff,

All I can tell you is that my coworker's computer does not have this same problem, and the only thing different between the two computers is that he uses older video drivers.

I also can't CTRL-TAB between windows, that takes about 15 seconds for the new CTRL-TAB window to pop up, and 15 seconds for it to disappear. Also, when I go to save/load, I often get a 15-30 second delay on the save window. When I even just click on "File", I get a 10 second delay.

I'd call these completely unacceptable. I've made a stink, and nothing has happened. I assume they are all related, and they still exist in 2009.
                      Josh Brady
                      Jeff,
                      I'm using 08, and I'm not seeing any "fade in" effect on dim. input boxes. Could that be a fancy effect that your video card software is adding? My Nvidia software has a few of those type effects that can be enabled. Just a thought.
                        Dale Dunn
                        Menu "fade in"? I thought that was controlled by Windows. Does Windows' eye candy correlate with this problem?
                          Jeff Mowry
                          Oops--no, my dimensional stuff doesn't do the fade-in (just delays), it's the left-click pop-up menu that does that (and stays sort of semi-transparent until I get my mouse to it)--I got them mixed up. But since my post above, I've had to hit Undo another four times on my dimensions because of the delay. It seems plenty of people are now seeing this problem.

Charles, those delays are truly ridiculous. Have you seen delays of that sort on any other machines? I'm used to switching documents by going to Window > (Document name) to select things quickly, so the v2008 interface with the pointless, non-space-saving interface change with the fly-out menu has been particularly frustrating for me. (Why is this good? It's anti-helpful. Leave the menu items visible all the time, it doesn't waste any usable space.)

Dale, don't be too eager to "upgrade". I minimize the Windows eye candy, too. All worked perfectly quickly in v2007--this is something v2008 has added.

Dale Dunn
                            Well, I've been eager to upgrade because the machine I've been playing with 2009 on hasn't been exhibiting this problem. Whether I get this on the work machine or not is an issue that would definitely need to be evaluated.
                              Jeff Mowry
                              I plan on installing v2009 SP2 on this machine soon. Starting a new project next week that should be a great chance at getting used to the interface, enhancements, etc. without the difficulty of complex surfacing. I'm hoping for nice changes between v2008 and v2009 stability and interface glitch issues.

Charles Culp
                                Jeff,

Plenty of people have complained about this delay on the forums, none of my coworkers experience the same delay.
                                    John Sweeney
                                    Hi Charles,
                                    From the other thread, you mentioned that "downgrading" your NVidia driver to 6.14.10.9185 fixed the slowness with Ctrl-Tab. Are you seeing the slowness again because you changed the driver to a newer version? Is your co-worker still using that older driver?

We have had several users complain about a slow Ctrl-Tab dialog, but we have not been able to reproduce the issue. I have not heard of a slow File-Save dialog or the dimension dialog slowness.

I apologize for bombarding you with questions, but I'd like to figure out what's going on with these issues (anyone else can feel free to chime in too)...
                                    1. What version of SW and service pack shows this problem (your signature shows 2009 SP2)
                                    2. What graphics card and driver version are you using?
                                    3. What OS? If this is Vista, is the UAC on or off? Is it x64?
                                    4. With regard to Ctrl-Tab, were earlier service packs of SW2008 ok, or have you seen this slowness for all 2008 service packs?
                                    5. How many models do you have open when the Ctrl-Tab action is slow?
                                    6. Is Ctrl-Tab slow if you have only two simple parts open?
                                    7. Is the Ctrl-Tab action slow if you do it quickly to simply activate the "next" document? (Doing Ctrl-Tab quickly should avoid the "preview" window)
                                    8. Is there anything unique about the files you have loaded (ie: logo images, materials, etc.) or can this be reproduced on your machine with newly created files?
                                    9. Is the "Window-Browse Open Documents" menu command slow too?
                                    10. Does the performance of Ctrl-Tab or the File-Save dialog degrade over time (ie: is it faster after rebooting)?
                                    11. With regard to the "File-Save" dialog slowness... if you perform a Ctrl-S action to save the file, do you see the same delay?
                                    12. Do you see slowness with ANY dialog or only the File-Save and File-Open dialog? Is it only when they are over the graphics window?

Thanks,
                                    John
                                        Charles Culp
                                        I don't mind the questions at all, I understand how hard it is to pin down these issues:

1. I noticed this problem with SP2 of 2008, which was the first SP of 2008 that I used. I have had the problem ever since.

2. I am currently using 6.14.10.9185 for my nVidia Quadro FX 3450, as sold by Dell.

3. I am using XP 32bit.

4. I had this problem with every version of 2008 that I used, starting in SP2.

5. CTRL-TAB (and all "hesitations", including Save Dialogs and selecting the File or Window menu) does not start immediately upon a reboot. If I just rebooted, and just started solidworks, and only open up two files, I can typically use CTRL-TAB, Save, etc without any hesitations. After opening up just a few more files (5 single, simple part files maybe) then I start to notice hesitations, starting with CTRL-TAB. The File and Save As issues seem to happen after I open up even more files.

If I close the files, it does not matter, I can close all of my open documents, then open up two more simple files, and the issue still exists.

5. Yes, just as I described above.

7. CTRL-TAB is still slow even if I quickly slap the tab key. It still loads the preview window.

8. This happens very consistently. I do not use any logo images (I have solidworks standard, so I can't apply decals, or custom appearances). I do often apply materials, and I do use realview often. If I remember correctly, if I turn off realview the problem is significantly minimized on some occasions, although CTRL-TAB always exists, I believe this is primarily for the Save/Load and File/Window issues. I will turn off realview next week and let you know if the problem persists with more details.

9. Yes, it happens to both "File" and "Window" menus (for just a few seconds, 3-5), as well as selecting "Browse open documents" through the window menu (which like CTRL-TAB takes 15 secs to open, and 15 secs to disappear). It seems pretty apparent that it is due to the menus that require the little "preview image", which also occasionally appears in the far top left corner of my screen, instead of right next to the file name (typical for when I go to File). You didn't mention it, but the "Browse recent documents" under File will also take a significant amount of time to load.

10. It does somewhat seems to degrade over time, but it goes from usable to very irritating quickly, then it seems to taper off. It does not get worse for every hour that I'm in solidworks.

11. I cannot compare the time it takes to CTRL-S with the time it takes to load and save with the Save As dialog box. I can CTRL-S in a very acceptable amount of time (for small parts normally just a second or two). When I go to Save-As, it will sometimes take anywhere from 5 seconds, to maybe even 20 seconds, for the "Save As" dialog box to appear. This symptom seems to appear later then CTRL-TAB (which only takes a few documents before it gets unusable), I have to be using Solidworks for much longer before Save As gets bad. But this is more like 2-3 hours, so it will happen most days that I use SW heavily.

12. I'm not sure which other dialog boxes you mean. If you mean warning dialog boxes (like rebuild errors), then no. It does take a long time for Pack & Go to load sometimes, but I assumed that was because it was looking for references, I really have to baseline comparison for how long that should take. As per "only over my graphics window", my graphics window takes up almost my entire montior, so I can't imagine a dialog box not being over my graphics window, I can try and make it really small to troubleshoot for you.

I will look into some of the above issues I discussed next week and see if I can't find any discrepancies.
                                      Kelvin Lamport
                                      Charles,
                                      Does the Task Manager (or overlay) trick not work for you any more?

Submitted by Joe Rochinski in http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...atid=24&threadid=8133

Well I noticed ctrl-tab was acting sluggish again so I opened up task manager to get a better idea of what was going on. It was then that I made an interesting discovery.

With solidworks maximized taking up my whole screen, ctrl-tab is slow. With Task Manager running and "Always On Top" enabled, ctrl-tab is fast. In fact, ive found that when even the tiniest portion of the solidworks window is obscured by another window, the ctrl-tab is near instant. Even if the 3D area is totally in view, whether solidworks is maximized or not.

I'm guessing that this has to do with video drivers. It seems like most of the people posting in this thread are running a Quadro.

I've downloaded and installed Free Download Manager, which includes a very small overlay that stays on your screen. CTRL-Tab is now almost as fast as previous versions of SW.

Kelvin Lamport
                                        The Intellipoint mouse driver was at one time a culprit in creating system hangs and button click delays. Switching to a Logitech mouse and driver was the cure.
                                          Charles Culp
                                          Right, the Task Manager "work around" did work for me. But there is no way I am doing that all the time.
                                              Dale Dunn
                                              That task manager overlay trick is interesting. Could it be that the software path is different for full-screen applications than for windowed or occluded applications? Perhaps something like a context switch happens so that the application has to be taken out of some kind of full screen mode in order to display the dimension modify box or the ctrl-tab previews.

Does the problem occur if you stretch the SW window to use the whole screen instead of maximizing it? What about SW "full screen mode" (F11)?
                                              Jeff Mowry
                                              John, thanks for that "pin" trick. I'd ended up seeing that shortly after my post on Friday--certainly solves the problem. I'm now adjusting to the moved-over position of my icons/menus--funny how fast habits set in.

Charles Culp
                                                  John, et al.

Results from today:

1. CTRL-TAB issue happened immediately after rebooting, and opening up two simple parts. I will admit that I did a little non-Solidworks work first, so I did open Firefox and Adobe Reader (Acrobat), but no other significant software.

2. Save As issue has not yet appeared. I opened up 5 different large part files, one at a time (I closed each one immediately after opening it). I have not done any real "work" in SolidWorks yet today (and probably won't today, or for the next couple days).

3. As Kelvin mentioned, If I have task manager open (with "on top" setting), then I can CTRL-TAB quickly, as I would expect.

4. While testing out your question of "is it over the display area", I took my SW window, and made it very thin at the top of my screen (300 pixels tall or so). I then hit CTRL-TAB. After about 20-30 seconds of waiting, I decied to time it. After 6 additional minutes of waiting, I have decided to kill the Solidworks process, as something is obviously hanging.

This is different then when it normally hangs during CTRL-TAB. Typically during a CTRL-TAB hang, I do not have access to my mouse pointer, the entire system locks up. This time Solidworks got stuck, but I still had control over my mouse, and I could still do things in other programs.

After I restarted SW I ran a few tests, and found symptoms that are very interesting.

I ran with SW maximized, and got the typical delay. If I ran with SW almost maximized size, but not maximized, I get the same problem. However, if I made the window just slightly smaller, I no longer get the delay. I started small and worked my way up, and first got the delay with a window size of about 1586x1130.

For more information, I run without any toolbars (just the standard toolbar to the right of File, Edit, etc menu, and I also have the HeadsUp Toolbar). I also have the default width for the Feature Manager, etc on the left.

I then tested to see if I could get Solidworks to crash, and indeed, if I shrink down Solidworks until it is smaller than the "Open Documents" popup, then Solidworks hung.

Hopefully that gave you some insights, let me know if there is something else that you want clarified.
                                                  Kelvin Lamport
                                                  Charles, Are you running your monitor at its native resolution? i.e. Not forcing it above its intended resolution?

Dual or single monitors?
                                                      John Sweeney
                                                      >I then tested to see if I could get Solidworks to crash, and
                                                      > indeed, if I shrink down Solidworks until it is smaller than
                                                      > the "Open Documents" popup, then Solidworks hung.

Hi Charles,
                                                      I was able to reproduce the hang when making the SW window smaller than the "open docs preview" window.

This has been given SPR 473220. We will continue to investigate and try to repro the other issues.

Thanks,
                                                      John
                                                          John Sweeney
                                                          Hi Charles,
                                                          In 2009 SP3, we have fixed SPR 473220 relating to the hang when using Ctrl-Tab where the SolidWorks application window is smaller than the preview.
                                                          Thanks for the input,
                                                          John

ADDED COMMENT: Note, the issue for SPR 473220 is not related to the "general slowness" that some users experience with Ctrl-Tab. It is a very specific hang that occurs when the SolidWorks application window is made very small.
                                                        Charles Culp
                                                        I am running my Dell LCD at its native resolution of 1600x1200.
                                                            John Sweeney
                                                            Hi All,
                                                            Here is a question for everyone that is seeing the Ctrl-Tab slowness or the Dimension popup dialog slowness (or other dialog slowness)

1. What graphics card do you have and what driver version?
                                                            2. If you un-maximize the SolidWorks window and make it slightly smaller than your monitor resolution, does the problem go away?
                                                            3. For dual monitor setups, if you drag the SolidWorks window so it overlaps onto the two monitors, is there a performance issue with Ctrl-Tab, dimension dialog, etc.?
                                                            4. If you turn OFF the taskpane window (using View-Toolbars-Taskpane), is there still a performance issue with Ctrl-Tab or the dimension dialog, when SolidWorks is maxmized?
                                                            5. Is there anyone that sees ONLY one of these issues and not the other?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input....

-John
                                                                Henri Hiisila
                                                                John,

I have seen popup dialog slowness, but don't know how fast Ctrl-Tab should be (I use tile-double click header, don't know why).

1. Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
                                                                Card: Quadro FX 1700/PCI/SSE2
                                                                Driver: 6.14.11.6262

2. Didn't see any difference
                                                                3. Didn't see any difference. I have 1680*1050 LCD as main monitor and 1280*960 CRT as secondary monitor
                                                                4. Didn't see any difference

But, there is some difference what I have seen..

Like this it occurs:
                                                                - I have quite large assy open (1271 components)
                                                                - I double clicked a some part face
                                                                - I immediately Double click a dimension which came visible
                                                                - type new dimension value BEFORE dimension dialog is popped up (try for instance 123456789)
                                                                - dimension dialog pops up, but dimension didn't change, or it changed for instance like 56789

Workaround
                                                                - SINGLE CLICK dimension so that feature manager switches to dimension manager
                                                                - double click dimension value
                                                                - type new dimension value before dimension dialog is popped up (try for instance 123456789)
                                                                - now dimension changed correctly to be 123456789

What I have seen is that switching from any manager to dimension manager has something wrong and this is one thing what it causes. Another thing happens with drawings. After a few hour drawing work (just doing drawings from ready modeled parts/assys) SolidWorks becomes really slow. Touching any dimension or balloon causes few seconds waiting time. During that time SW is switching from drawing manager (blocks, annotations, sheet1, sheet2...) to dimension manager. Restart of SW helps for a while.

Edit

Specs:
                                                                SW2008 SP5.0
                                                                Total System Memory - 2.98 Gt
                                                                Free System Memory - 1.82 Gt
                                                                HPxw 4600
                                                                3GbSwitch enabled
                                                                    John Sweeney
                                                                    Hi Henri,
                                                                    Do you have "Instant 3D" enabled. Is it faster if you turn it off? Also, is it any better if you disable the "Auto-show PropertyManager" setting in Tools-Options-System Optoins-General?
                                                                    Thanks,
                                                                    John
                                                                      Jim Wilkinson

Henri H wrote:

Like this it occurs:

- I immediately Double click a dimension which came visible
                                                                      - type new dimension value BEFORE dimension dialog is popped up (try for instance 123456789)
                                                                      - dimension dialog pops up, but dimension didn't change, or it changed for instance like 56789

What I have seen is that switching from any manager to dimension manager has something wrong and this is one thing what it causes. Another thing happens with drawings. After a few hour drawing work (just doing drawings from ready modeled parts/assys) SolidWorks becomes really slow. Touching any dimension or balloon causes few seconds waiting time. During that time SW is switching from drawing manager (blocks, annotations, sheet1, sheet2...) to dimension manager. Restart of SW helps for a while.

Hi Henri,

The problems that you discuss here may be unrelated to the other problems being discussed in this thread. In SolidWorks 2009, we specifically tried to address the types of issues you are encountering where the performance of manipulating large assemblies and drawings (selecting dimensions, annotations, etc.) gets slower as the size of the assembly/drawings get larger. We also addressed issues of the software getting slower as you work on a number of large models. I would highly recommend you test SolidWorks 2009 to see if it alleviates your problems. I cannot guarantee it will, but other users with similar problems have been quite impressed with the improvements we have made in SolidWorks 2009.

Thanks,
                                                                      Jim
                                                                          Henri Hiisila
                                                                          Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response! We will install 2009 for production within few weeks. This popup dialog problem came with 2008 and we hope it will be gone with 2009.
                                                                              Charles Culp
                                                                              In reference to the question "do other pop-up windows also cause a delay".

Yesterday, after opening up a couple large assemblies (not open at that time, but earlier in my Solidworks session), I tried to look at the Tools>Options... dialog box. It locked up my computer much like these other issues, and took about 30 seconds for it to appear. This has happened before, and starting with SW2008 (I believe, memory is getting fuzzy), I have noticed that Tools>Options... has sometimes started taking significantly longer to appear than I would normally expect.
                                                                      Derek Christians
                                                                      John,

1. QuadroFX4500, driver 91.85 (the driver listed on the sw site - 169.56 doesn't download a valid file)
                                                                      2. Window size has no effect
                                                                      3. Resizing to cover both monitors has no effect
                                                                      4. Turning off task pane has no effect.
                                                                      5. I only have a problem with slow dimensions. CTRL-TAB seems to be OK, although I am in still in the habit of using a hotkey to tile windows and maximize what I need.

I did try turning off "Auto show property manager" in the system options. With it off, dimensions are edited instantly, as they used to. Unfortunately since I usually have to access the property manager to adjust tolerances or callout information, the workaround is almost as painful as the problem.
                                                                      Also, not all users are seeing the dimension delay. Here are a few examples:
                                                                      QuadroFX3400, driver71.84 - no delays
                                                                      QuadroFX4600, driver169.96 - CTRL-TAB delay, no dimension delay
                                                                        Charles Culp
                                                                        see my last post on this thread for how I got rid of this problem! (I updated video drivers, and turned off anti-aliasing) http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...atid=8&threadid=18921

I will miss anti-aliasing...
                                                                            John Sweeney

Charles Culp wrote:

see my last post on this thread for how I got rid of this problem! (I updated video drivers, and turned off anti-aliasing) "> http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...eadid=18921

I will miss anti-aliasing...

I think you're on to something! If I disable "Application Controlled" anti-aliasing and crank overall anti-aliasing up to 4x, then I actually see the Ctrl-Tab slowness with my FX3500 card and an old graphics driver (9.1.3.6). I also see very slow display of menus.

We are investigating this setting and the various drivers now and will report back...

For those of you seeing Ctrl-Tab slowness, etc., you may want to try disabling the setting and selecting "Application Controlled" anti-aliasing if its not being used already.

Thanks,
                                                                            John
                                                                                John Sweeney
                                                                                Hi Guys,
                                                                                We've been investigating this and have a few final notes... We believe the graphics card, with full screen anti-aliasing enabled, is simply running out of video memory and causing the card to swap to disk. This obviously affects performance. We believe this issue happens only with dual monitors and with custom anti-alias set since the combination of these two things causes very large amounts of data to be put to the card.

I'm told that the latest certified Nvidia drivers are a bit better with resource management, but in reality, an anti-alias setting of 4x uses literally 4 times the amount of card memory and, with dual screen, it's bumping into the limit ...

We are investigating improvements on our end to increase efficiency for anti-aliasing and we hope this will help. This is being investigated under SPR 469994 but, at this point, is not planned for SW 2009.

For now, if you're using dual monitors and are seeing slowness with the Ctrl-Tab window display or sluggishness with other window operations, we recommend using the default "Application Controlled" anti-aliasing in your graphics card settings, as was suggested earlier by Charles.

Thanks for everyone's input on this issue.

Best Regards,
                                                                                John
                                                                              Charles Culp
                                                                              Thanks for the report, John. I didn't see this until just now when Anna W linked to it.

I just wanted to mention that I am only running a single monitor, with 8X anti-aliasing and it was happening to me.