AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking for ideas

Question asked by Alex Lachance on Oct 31, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 by Alex Lachance

I have a little problem, it doesn't concern directly SolidWorks but I'll spread it out here, maybe someone has an idea on how I could proceed.

I work in a trailer manufacturing company, I design trailers. When we make trailers, the beams are generally split in 5 parts to do the beam's web. Sometimes, we require the beam's web to be made in 5 bodies, other times we require it to be made in 1 body.

Here is where it gets tricky. There are often external references made on this beam. There's also a lot of mates on the beam so if I switch between a 5 bodies part beam or a 1 body part beam, the references breaks and my mates loses their faces.

I'm looking for a way to be able to generate easily both versions of the beam without having 2 distinct files and without having the chances of breaking external references or mates. The part needs to display the correct weight too so the extra body's weight needs to be removed somehow if there is one.

My idea was to design the beam as a 5 body part originally, and to then perhaps to make a new body using the existing one as a reference. Either that or to merge bodies together, not sure with either outcome. Also,

Outcomes