13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 9:34 AM by David Nelson

Mates

David Nelson

Just have to ask this question.  Do you have a problem with old Assemblies losing their mates after you go to a newer version of solid works.  Seems each year when we install the  newest version I will have some mate break for one part.  But that part is used in a few hundred Assemblies.  So I have to go back and fix all of them.  Usually find out when the shop floor calls and says the Assembly blew up.   Normally this is caused because someone used a surface mate and not and Axis or plane.

Or if the Assembly had any locks in it this will also cause it.  I have to go in delete the lock and mate it correctly.

• Re: Mates
          Glenn Schroeder

It happens to me occasionally.  I have one particular library part that loves to turn upside down when I'm not looking.  And not just when updating versions.

Doug Seibel

It is a very rare occurrence for us.  By mating to datum planes, datum axis, csys, & sketch lines/points/arcs...the assemblies are generally quite stable.  My suggestion would be to take a long hard look at how the component is mated, and rather than quick-fixing the problem...figure out a more "robust" mating method.  (We don't use the "lock", but several things are "fixed".)

Christopher Culver

This happens to me a lot actually, with a washer that is in multiple places and it flips itself sideways and at times it takes the fitting with it. I've never quite figured out why or what triggers it, seemingly random.

The mate is coincident to a face and concentric to a hole.

David Nelson

I did have a few parts that would not even open in 17.   I used E-Drawings printed a copy of the drawing and redid the part completely.  But since it was in several Assemblies I had to go and fix them too.

Habib Ghalamkari

It happens to me regularly. And not only in some cases the assembly looses some mates, but in some cases it's over defined.

I simply thought it's something about my workflow or some settings somewhere. But I see a lot of us have the same problem. It's a relief to realize I'm not alone.

Wayman John

I have one sub-assembly that has 4 linear bearings mated to a plate. Each bearing has a coincident mate between two faces and 2 concentric mates between mounting holes.

The sub-assembly works just fine, but, whenever I open the top level assembly in which it is used, 2 of the bearings are shown offset from their correct position. Still coincident with the plane, but shifted so the concentric holes don't align. The other 2 appear to be in their correct places.

If I suppress the sub-assembly in the top level assembly, then resume it, the moved ones re-appear positioned correctly.

It made me look pretty stupid only yesterday, when I produced a 3D PDF for a customer, only to have him query the position of the bearings.

I do find it very hard to trust Solidworks...

SW2016 SP5

Windows 10 pro

Quadro K2200 with approved driver

John

John Stoltzfus

What I usually do if that comes up is...

Start at the bottom of the Mate Feature Tree and delete, (or suppress), any "Red" mates and work up, it's usually a few double mates or two mates basically saying "almost" the same thing, for example if someone made a parallel mate and a coincident mate to the same part using the same surface.  So in that case I call the "Red" mates, excessive mates, more then what you need. 

There is a chance though that you need to re-mate some items.

Todd Blacksher

John Stoltzfus wrote:

What I usually do if that comes up is...

Start at the bottom of the Mate Feature Tree and delete, (or suppress), any "Red" mates and work up,

That is the absolute best way to deal with broken mates - ninja level assembly mate repair right there.

David Nelson

I do locks 1st, just get rid of them, then the Bottom red mate gets deleted till the problem is resolved.  Sometimes a piece will only have two mates and be over defined still.  these I just start over.  I remate that part completely.