2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 3:01 PM by Ryan Navarro

milling machine simulation

Oliver Szabó

hi! I want to modelling a part of a milling machine. I want to get the deformation on the tool, and the reaction force in the linear gide, between the rail and the block. How can i modelling the connection between the rail and the block? On the picture you can see that, i gave a milling force (on the cylinder, which is the tool, the box is the spindle) and gravity. I modelling the connection between the block and the rail (between the parts of the linear gide) with spirals, but i cant know that it is ok or not? with the spirals, i want to modelling the rigidity of the linear gide. I use compression and extension type spirals with tangential stiffnes only in (N/m)/m^2.

• Re: milling machine simulation
          Fred Fisher

What you want to model is so complex it must be done via live analysis and measurement if you need viable data.

• Re: milling machine simulation
            Ryan Navarro

The general approach of using virtual springs to represent the stiffness of the linear guides is exactly what I would recommend.

Specification sheets for linear guides/bearings should list load vs deflection curves. You can extract a stiffness constant from such curves to input as the spring stiffness for each direction of loading.

To keep it simple I would use Normal stiffness only for each of the springs. This way each spring will represent one component of the linear bearing's stiffness (using 3 springs per 1 physical guide/bearing)