2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 2:39 PM by Adam Tracy

SOLIDWORKS Student License Transfer Issue

Adam Tracy

Hello,

This has been frustrating me for a good few hours now. I have an "Education Edition" license installed on my old laptop, and I want to transfer it to my new laptop. I go to Help > Transfer License, try to do it over the internet, and it says "Transfer Succeeded." but I have no idea what to do next. I also tried by email and it gave me a file that I could use with the "Solidworks Activation Wizard", which I have no idea how to get up and running on my computer. All the Solidworks downloads are "locked" for my account, so I can't download it from the website as far as I can tell. I don't know how to proceed in the transfer process. Help on Google has seemed to assume that Solidworks has already been installed on the new computer, just not activated.

I know I probably missed some obvious step, but I do that pretty often, and it drives me up the wall.

The licenses are from my university, and it's for the 2016/17 Edition.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Re: SOLIDWORKS Student License Transfer Issue
          Christian Chu
          All the Solidworks downloads are "locked" for my account, so I can't download it from the website as far as I can tell

what website you tried to download the software?

Once you deactivate the license on one computer, you can activate the license again on the diff. computer with the same serial number

• Re: SOLIDWORKS Student License Transfer Issue
              Adam Tracy

Thank you for your response...

How do I find my serial number?

I logged into the Solidworks website, and tried to install from there, but they needed a serial number. Unfortunately, the serial number was not accepted and an icon told me to contact support, which in turn led me to the education edition forums, and now I'm lost again. Probably will try pushing harder at support.

Edit: I think I found it: Help > About SOLIDWORKS > Show Serial No. In the old installation which I had to reactivate.

Should be okay from here, thanks!

Edit 2: Support gave me another number to contact. It's getting late so I'll call them tomorrow. I guess I'll have it fixed eventually. Thanks anyway.