1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 8:50 AM by Victor Frauenfeld

Electrical Drawings using SolidWorks

Stephen Bittner

I'm wondering if people actually use SolidWorks (instead of AutoCad) to create electrical schematics on a day-to-day basis.  I'm being told that SolidWorks doesn't have anywhere near the same functionality as AutoCad with regards to line work and producing 2D schematics using industry standard electrical symbols with a library of blocks.  I'm reaching out to the community for other opinions because I feel like the resistance here at my facility is mostly due to the fear of change.  That said, if you can provide any feedback on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

The reason for my question is due to our recent push to implement a PDM solution, and with that, we would like to entertain solutions for creating a common CAD platform and purge the need for multiple licenses for AutoCad.

Thank you in advance!! 

• Re: Electrical Drawings using SolidWorks
          Victor Frauenfeld

Creating schematics in SolidWorks is not the easiest task. I am not aware of any 2D blocks that might be out there to assist with this task. However, that doesn’t mean that they don’t exist.

If you do a lot of electrical work (schematics, layout, etc.) you might want to look into SolidWorks Electrical and/or SolidWorks PCB. They do have the ability to create schematics much easier and these softwares provide many other advantages (parametric with 3D, wire lengths, etc.)

If you don’t do a lot of electrical work and the only thing you use AutoCAD for is a few schematics, I would highly suggest that you look into DraftSight. It is a 2D drafting package that SolidWorks makes available. Here is a link to their website: https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/offerings/ There is a free version as well as a paid version. But I have used the free version and did not run into any limitations. Just a thought.

As far as PDM goes, it does control DXF/DWG format files without issue too.