2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 8:10 AM by Sukho Song

SolidWorks 2017 crashes on surface book with performance base

Sukho Song

Hi guys,

I have recently purchased SolidWorks 2017 student edition for my research, but it keeps crashing on my laptop. I am using Surface book with performance base whose system specification is as follow :

1. CPU : i7-6600U 2.6 GHz

2. RAM : 16 GB

3. GPU : intel integrated graphics 520 + dGPU (NVIDIA GTX 965m w/ 2GB vRAM)

4. HDD : 512 SSD

I am just drawing some basic 3D design, not anything related to fancy things. It crashes even when drawing circles or lines on 2D plane.  I don't know what happens here and would like to get any idea from you guys how to solve this issue. Thanks for your help and advise in advance

• Re: SolidWorks 2017 crashes on surface book with performance base
          Kevin Berni

Hi Sukho,

What Windows update are you using? Creators update? Also please post which driver version you are using. We did see some issues with GeForce graphics a few months ago that was linked to the driver.  Finally have you tried setting the graphics to use the Intel onboard GPU? If so what happens?

• Re: SolidWorks 2017 crashes on surface book with performance base
              Sukho Song

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for being interested in my case.  Yes, I am currently using Windows 10 Creators update (1709).  I am using SolidWorks 2017 SP2.0 Student Edition, and my dGPU (NVIDIA GTX 965m) uses GeForce Game Ready Driver 388.00 (released 10/23/17).  As you brought this up, it seems that the latest Windows updates (1709) is quite unstable, especially in combination with NVIDIA graphics and Surface Book.

I have tried all of my best to restrict SolidWorks to use intel HD graphics 520, but it didn't work; I changed the graphic settings in NVIDIA control panel in a way that Solidworks can only use the intel graphics (NVIDIA Control Panel --> 3D settings --> program settings --> Solidworks --> Integrated graphics), but Solidworks doesn't listen to my command, ended up with always calling up dGPU. (I guess this is because SolidWorks demands high graphic performance)

Is there any way that Dassault systems improves SolidWorks to get this problem solved??  And as a student edition holder, can I also get the updates??  

Thank you so much for your support!