3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 9:30 AM by Alan Bumbaugh

Trying to make a mold

John Faulkner

So Ive made an assembly, and now I want to house it in a box by hollowing it out. (Box will be 3d printed)- basically making a mold.

Im trying to do this with the indent feature as I want a 0.5mm gap all around so it's not too tight a fit.

Ive made a solid cube and added it to the assembly and then I clicked 'edit component', on it, then features, 'indent'.

It just wont let me select the assembly to cut in the tool body region.

Ive also tried it by making the assembly a part but it wont let me select the entire model on the tree display, in the tool body region.

Ive watched several YouTube videos trying to work it out but they all really basic things like a single chess piece.

Anyone had experience with the indent feature to make a mold?

• Re: Trying to make a mold
          Alan Bumbaugh

John,

I haven't used the indent to make a mold cavity, normally I edit the part in the assembly, select Insert / Molds / Cavity.  When the box pops up for the feature(s) to select for the cavity there is also a "Scaling" factor which supplies a similar result.

Hope this helps.

Alan

John Faulkner

Thanks for your reply, I tried using the cavity feature, as it lets me select the assembly, however it gives me the error message "Rebuild Errors: Unable to create this feature because it would result in zero thickness geometry.

I think the part is a bit too complex. I has holes in it for screws and things to be put in later, but I can see how this would effect making a mold, as there would be solid 'bits' floating in mid air, and solidworks doesn't  seem to like this.

Alan Bumbaugh

John,

The Zero thickness is something that crops up from time to time.

Check for holes that end up being tangent to the cavity.

It is possible that this is what is causing the indent operation to fail as well.

With the mold feature as well as cuts, if these operations result in separate entities floating around, a pop up box will let you keep or remove them.

Another issue which could be the size of the scaling with a radius intersecting itself.

I have not experienced complexity causing these problems.

As always, if you can post your models, some one will be able to show a fix.

Alan