11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2017 11:00 AM by Edward Poole

Using Model Dimension in Drawing Text

B. Watkins

Is there a quick and easy way to create drawing text that contains a dimension read from the model in the view?

• Re: Using Model Dimension in Drawing Text
          Vladimir Urazhdin

Create a Custom Property in a drawing, link dimension to drawing Custom Property and insert drawing Custom Property to the note.

B. Watkins

I made a custom property in the model using the cut list length and can point to that with my drawing text, but it comes in with the default units that I set in the drawing which is fractions and I'd like it to come in with decimal units with no trailing zeros. Do you know if there's a way to control the units displayed in my drawing text without changing the default? The default works like I want it to for the lengths that I'm showing in my BOM (fractions). I also tried setting a custom property in the drawing that will read the model dimension value, but not sure how to do that.

John Stoltzfus

B. Watkins wrote:

I made a custom property in the model using the cut list length and can point to that with my drawing text, but it comes in with the default units that I set in the drawing which is fractions and I'd like it to come in with decimal units with no trailing zeros. Do you know if there's a way to control the units displayed in my drawing text without changing the default? The default works like I want it to for the lengths that I'm showing in my BOM (fractions). I also tried setting a custom property in the drawing that will read the model dimension value, but not sure how to do that.

That doesn't sound like your initial question....

You need to get the dimension name....  D1@CutExtrude1 as an example..

Vladimir Urazhdin

Can you upload a simplified model to play with?

This would be the easiest way to fix the issue

Glenn Schroeder

B. Watkins wrote:

Use the Smart Dimension tool to place a dimension where you need it.  Go to the dimension's Property Manager and set it to display decimal instead of fractions.  Now, when in the Note, click on the dimension (as Tony Cantrell said).  That will insert the dimension into the note with a space on each side.  After closing out the note you can right-click on the dimension and choose "Hide" from the drop-down (or hide the whole view if you had to insert it just to get the dimension).  And by the way, if your note is linked to a view the dimension you're linking to doesn't need to belong to the same view.

John Stoltzfus

Did you try...

Insert/Model Items

B. Watkins

I did, but I don't see how to take a model dimension value and turn it into drawing text.

Tony Cantrell

Start your text and when ready select the dimension from the drawing, you can hide the dimension later if you like.

Jim Steinmeyer

I don't think I am understanding your question clearly but here are a couple of ideas that may help point you in the directions I "think" you may be looking:

1. If you are wanting the model dimension turned into drawing text, are you wanting it in a note? If so you can place the dimension in the drawing, then create a note. With the note active select the dimension. this will place the dimension in the note. Then you can hide the dimension if you want.

2. If you create your dimension as a custom property and want it to have a set to show decimals rather than fractions you can use equations to change the custom property. Someone who has worked on this will have to help with the command to convert to decimal but I am sure it can be done. I use the ROUND( property, 2) command to round my numbers to two decimal places. I think TRUNC is the command to delete all numbers after the decimal place.

Do these help?

B. Watkins

I figured out some things based on a few of the responses on here. I found that you can control the units and precision and the handling of trailing zeros by placing extra dimensions in the model and controlling all of those things with overrides on the individual dimension. Then you can create a custom property in the model pointing to those dimensions and in turn use that custom property to control the text in the drawing. It wasn't giving me the control over trailing zeros in a drawing dimension. The drawing units setting controls the behavior of the text when pointing to default dimensions in the model. I found this counter-intuitive, but now that I know how it works it's not too bad. The unfortunate part is that our in-house standards are to show fractions in the BOM lengths and decimal units on the dimensions on the body of the drawing. The way I'm doing it is to set the default units for the drawing to fractions and then I have to control each of the dimensions on the body of the drawing with overrides. It works, but it'd be nice if it was a little easier.

Edward Poole

Jim Steinmeyer, that's the only way I've ever done it. It also works with part number balloons, etc.