Christopher Vitko

Solidworks 2008 SP3 to SP5 upgrade

Discussion created by Christopher Vitko on Jan 22, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 by Rodney Hall
Hi guys this is my first post on these forums. I have some questions for you SW experts out there then again these questions could be somewhat noobish.

I just recently got hired a few months back at my job. I was given the responsibility on upgrading our version of SW to the latest SP. Now we currently have roughly 4-5 users with SW installed on their systems (small company).

The previous IT guy went from a clean installation from 2006 to 2008 SP3. From reading his documentation he was unable to create an admin image (did clean installation on each workstation). I was made aware that if I wanted to create an admin image now, I would have to uninstall the software and push the install from the image. With the vault, viewer, edrawings, and other programs installed on the systems, is this procedure easy enough to do? I would rather download a 4gig SP on our server and deploy it to each machine rather than go to each workstation and download it hogging all the bandwith.

I have read that before you install the upgrade, your antivirus must be disabled and all users should be logged out of the Solidworks application altogether. Also, would it be a good idea to use the Copy Settings Wizard for each user so their settings stay the same when the new SP is installed?

As I look in the Installation Manager, I see a whole bunch of products that get installed with the new SP. Is it necessary to install everything that is selected (eDrawings, viewer, SW search, DWGeditor, SW explorer, PDMWorks Workgroup/Client/VaultAdmin)? I assume I should go to each workstation and see what everyone has installed.

Now I also have something written down in this documentation about needing to upgrade CAMWorks as well. Any ideas on that?

I am hoping that this could be a simple process if someone can shed some light on how I would approach this.

Thank you,

Chris Vitko

Outcomes