10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 11:01 AM by Matt Finley

What are the file names for templates?

Matt Finley

Some of you may remember my rants about running Solidworks on a "PC over IP" network. It really was bad.

When I was on short term disability for 6 weeks they moved the license to a dedicated PC and they didn't know to save the drawing templates that I made.

IT thinks we still have the folder structure from the PCoIP install but I don't remember what/where the file names were to give them something to search for. I'm pretty sure they're .slddot or .slddrt or something but I can't find anything using those extensions. Can you help?

• Re: What are the file names for templates?
          Jason Koonce

Drawing templates are .DRWDOT

Sheet formats are .SLDDRT

Hope that helps

Wayne Schafer

Drawing templates are .drwdot

Part template are .prtdot

Assembly template are .asmdot

Tom Helsley

Matt,

You wouldn't have this problem if you saved the template files to a "SolidWorks Setup" folder on a network drive that all SolidWorks users can access and have their templates file locations set to (standardized company settings).  Alternatively, if using PDM, you could check them into the vault in a templates folder.  Since implementing PDM Pro, the latter is what I have implemented for my current company.  To ensure users get the latest version of the template files from the vault, set the Cache options on the templates folder to refresh during login.  The PDM option is great for mobile and remote users - no lag, and no server connection required.

Matt Finley

Tom,

You mean the same file I back up all my other settings to? Like macros, the registry file, hardware etc?

Yeah, I know. If I would have known they were going to do this while I was gone I would have done that, but going on disability happened pretty quick and I didn't have time to consider that. But it's happening now!!! LOL.

r.e. PDM, no thanks! I used that when I was at Delta Design and it's a major pain in the behind, especially when it came to automation (macros). Also, we only have one seat of SW here.

Tom Helsley

Not so much a backup, Matt, but store and use the templates from a folder that is not in the program files or program data folders on your C-drive.  In SolidWorks, set your file locations for templates, sheet formats, etc. to this 'SolidWorks setup' that you store on the network, or some regularly backed-up drive or folder.  Then, when you upgrade SolidWorks, your hard drive crashes and needs to be re-imaged, etc., you'll sleep soundly knowing that your templates are not lost.  Simply re-apply yours saved/backed up settings, and you're good to go.

In my experience with PDM, if it is a major pain, then it wasn't setup and configured properly.  The whole point of it is to make our lives much easier.  But, if you're dealing with just one seat of SolidWorks, then PDM might not be worthwhile.  I would still do the separate 'SolidWorks setup' folder though.

Matt Finley

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, that is a nice option, but the PCoIP system we have here is painfully slow. Even simple tasks like opening a .pdf from there is painful and cumbersome. Even switching tabs in Internet Exploder takes between 3 and 5 seconds each time (NOT exaggerating here).

I will sneak in and create a folder on the company's main file system to copy things over to and see how it runs. If it hickups I'll be able to change back to the local directory easy enough without bothering IT. If it works I'll politely let IT know of the change (easier to get forgiveness than to get permission and all that.. )

Thanks much for the tip.

Tom Helsley

I have no experience with PCoIP, but that sounds like a nightmare.  I have however had experience with accessing files remotely over VPN.  Depending on your company's bandwidth allocation, accessing the templates (or any files for that matter) through the VPN connection is agonizingly slow.  That's why I moved to storing in PDM and auto caching the templates folder.

The way I look at it, IT is there to support us.  If they don't take that attitude, then it can be pretty difficult to get anything done - in my past experience.