2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2017 10:09 AM by Peter Francis

How do I measure solar radiation ?

Peter Francis

Hi all ,

I'm simulating one of our products ( a digital display screen ) in various external locations and orientations.

I'm particularly interested in the effects of solar radiation.

I'm struggling to find a way of measuring ( with a goal/surface/etc ) the actual solar radiation hitting our product , I need to measure both the direct normal i.e. the amount of radiation arriving from the sun as well as the values on vertical / horizontal structures.

I've got calculated values but I need to cross check these with the CFD values.

Has anyone done this and can point me in the correct direction ?

Thank in advance

Peter

• Re: How do I measure solar radiation ?
          Bill McEachern

I am keen to figure this out as well and not just for solar radiation but also for other specified inputs like thermal energy in a volume to name just one - to confirm you are hitting what you are aiming at. I have suspicions that what you ask for is not always what you get depending on mesh and other issues. Maybe its an enhancement request.

• Re: How do I measure solar radiation ?
              Peter Francis

Hi Bill,

After a little head scratching I've solved my issue and its relativly simple ( isn't it always ! )

Here's how I did it

Setup a measurement body (see below) aligned to the incoming solar radiation

Give the body a Black Body Radiative surface.

I then setup the following ;

Goals

Add a SG Net Radiant Flux (Solar) to the face of the Measurement body

Results

Surface Plot - Net Radiant Flux (solar)

Surface Parameters - - Net Radiant Flux (solar)

I'm now getting the values I was expecting .

Initially I was getting confusing values as I was using Heat Flux which includes all forms heat flux not just Solar.

I've seen far too many people just 'turn the handle' with CFD and trust the results , thats why I have an Excel Solar calculator and SMath worksheet that I use before I even fire up the CFD.

I think its crucial that I'm able to check what the software is giving me , otherwise how else can you rely on the values.

Solar Insolation.jpg