2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2017 10:12 AM by Ryan Whitney

Drawing Sheet 2 File overwrites all Sheet format Replacement

Ryan Whitney

Drawing sheet 2 question.  I have a drawing template that employs the "Use different sheet format" for new sheets and references format "MySheet 2".  It works great.  A new drawing is started, the user sees "MySheet 1" format, they click a new sheet, they see "MySheet 2" format.

However it was noticed today that when the "MySheet 1" format is reloaded, the drawing will ONLY reload the format listed in the "Use different sheet format" dialog box.  I thought I may have inadvertently saved over the "MySheet 1" format and it looked identical to the "MySheet 2" format (and hence the template's sheet 1 would still look right), but that wasn't the case as it didn't matter what format was selected (even one of the SW defaults), the drawing still pulls the "MySheet 2" format when any sheet's formats are changed/reloaded.  The quick fix was to uncheck the "Use different sheet format" box, and then everything behaves as it should.  Additionally, it all works fine if I check the "Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet" box.  Am I missing something or is this a SW glitch?

I hope I've explained this is clear enough, it was a pretty nuanced error.

• Re: Drawing Sheet 2 File overwrites all Sheet format Replacement
          Glenn Schroeder

I've not run into the exact problem you mentioned, but I have also had problems with the Reload function for sheet formats.  I occasionally have to switch to a completely different sheet format, close the sheet properties dialog box, open it back up again, and then choose the original format to get it to update.  With that being said, the only suggestion I'd have would be to add the second sheet to your drawing template, with the desired sheet format for each sheet.  When using it to create drawings, if the second sheet isn't needed it can be deleted, and if additional sheets are needed then the second sheet format should be automatically used as long as the second sheet is active and "Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet" is NOT selected at Tools > Options > System Options > Drawings.  I'll freely admit that this solution may not be any better than what you're doing now.

• Re: Drawing Sheet 2 File overwrites all Sheet format Replacement
              Ryan Whitney

Thanks for the thoughts.  I too have had the issue of not being able to reload formats.  I do the exact same thing you do.  I click another random format, load that one, and then go back to the format I wanted to reload.  But then again sometimes the "Reload" button isn't grayed out and works. 

Your suggestion above would work and is a method I haven't considered, and may be easier for users.  But both of our solutions are work-arounds.  Maybe I can take this post and submit both of these questions to SW.  I found a few other posts on your issue, and it doesn't seem like it's a new one.  I'm still on SW 2016 BTW.