7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 12:30 PM by Shon Owl

Saving To STL From Surfacing

Hello,
      How am i able to save a surface file to STL. I read previous threads on how this is not how STL's are meant to be used, but this is my problem.

We have had some parts 3D scanned, and they have come back as surface models. We now need to send these parts to our Dimension 3D printer. The 3D printer only takes STL's.

I've tried other methods such as the thicken method and the knit, but as its a really complex surfaced part, these will not work.

I know this is doable as we've manage to do it in CATIA.

cheers
      Stuart
        • Saving To STL From Surfacing
          Charles Culp
          STLs must be a solid. Thus you will have to either thicken it, or knit it to be a solid.

To speak more technically, a surface body has no "in" or "out", however STL's are defined as having and "out". This is done by having coordinates for each facet, and also a "normal" direction for each facet, showing which way is "out" (I believe, or maybe they show which was is in?).

So you will have to find a way to solidify your surface body. If it is a fully enclosed body, that is done with a thicken feature, making sure to checkmark the option to make it into a solid.
              lenny bucholz
              here is a trick! save the model out as a parasolid and read that parasolid back into SW. some times it works as SW trys to knit back together

Charles Culp wrote:

STLs must be a solid. Thus you will have to either thicken it, or knit it to be a solid.

To speak more technically, a surface body has no "in" or "out", however STL's are defined as having and "out". This is done by having coordinates for each facet, and also a "normal" direction for each facet, showing which way is "out" (I believe, or maybe they show which was is in?).

So you will have to find a way to solidify your surface body. If it is a fully enclosed body, that is done with a thicken feature, making sure to checkmark the option to make it into a solid.

But how comes you can save as an STL in Catia? without having to do anything special apart from save as!
                Stuart,

Internal to SW, there is no technical reason that prevents us in saving a SW surface body as an STL but we chose not to because "we wanted to save our users from themselves" which is a glib way of saying that we wanted to reduce unexpected errors for the 99% of users that are using STL to go to a 3D print which require that it be solid.

If you want to export a surface to an STL, see if your target application can take VMRL, Collada or 3Dxml and you'll be able to save from SW using one of those three formats.
                  Kevin Quigley
                  Without being daft my question is what are you going to do with a STL surface model on a Dimension? It won't print a zero thickness part unless the surface is watertight. If that is the case and your scan is a full 360 degree closed shape you should be able to use the scan point cloud and convert directly to stl from the scan software (so in other words, if you paid for it, get the scan bureau to give you the stl file).

Failing that you might have to do some repair work on the surface model to make it a solid in SolidWorks (a lot of scan surfaces have tiny little surfaces or very short edges that can screw up stitching).

Worst case get the evaluation copy of Rhino, open the surfaces in that and save it out of there - you get 25 saves with the eval.
                  • Re: Saving To STL From Surfacing
                    Shon Owl

You must insert STL to magics (Materialise Software) and to give thickness. and the received STL can be unloaded with the reduced stake of triangles in order that its could open SW

believe did similar repeatedly