2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2017 7:50 PM by Fred Fisher

Solidworks Laptop

Kaymie Shiozawa

Hi I am a college student studying MechE looking into three laptops that I can use SolidWorks, MATLAB, etc. on. Please give me some input! Also, I really don't want a heavy laptop, but I think these are pretty reasonable in weight.:

Precision 5520 - 15" Mobile Workstation Laptop | Dell United States $2299

- Intel Core i7-7820HQ (Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 630)

- Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5

- RAM 16GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS

- Storage: M.2 PCIe 256GB SSD Class 40

Precision 15" 3520 Mobile Workstation Laptop | Dell United States  $1579

- Intel Core i7-7700HQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 6MB 35W, w/Intel HD Graphics 630)

- Nvidia Quadro M620 w/2GB GDDR5 dedicated memory

- 16GB, DDR4-2400MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS, Non-ECC

- 2TB 2.5" 7mm SATA (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (but other hard drive options are available, such as SSD)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/buy/interstitial/90FC23DV6SNZ/8RN1R319Z8W2/08WD/surfacelaptopinterstitial  $2199

512GB SSD

16GB RAM

Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640

• Re: Solidworks Laptop
          Todd Blacksher

If you really want to save money, look at the Dell Outlet (Refurbished Laptops, Computers & Servers - Dell Outlet | Dell )

I just received my 5510, and it was about half the price of the 5520 that you have shown.

(They do have 5520's on the outlet, I just had limited funds.)

I recommend the 5510/5520 primarily for the small form factor.

todd

• Re: Solidworks Laptop
            Fred Fisher

Here is their eBay store:

dell-official-store-usa-refurbished

All the Dell Precision laptops are good to to go on Matlab and SW. You really don't even need the newer ones, I believe all the workstations are ISV certified and this is what you need. If money is tight just get a cheap one, you really don't need a precision workstation unless you have some VERY large assemblies and Matlab will run on anything. For what you are doing in College you can buy a high end business grade Dell Laptop for around $250 on eBay from the dell official store (AVOID all the others that claim refurb, the account I posted is the REAL one)and it will rock. At this price who cares if you drop it....