1 2 3 4 5 6 820 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2018 7:00 AM by Jim Wilkinson Go to original post
      • 45. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
        John Stoltzfus

Would love to see your assemblies and workflow....

• 46. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
          Glenn Schroeder

Alex Burnett wrote:

This. I am tired of SolidWorks adding this little guy when I close a contour. I know the workarounds to get it to not do this. My frustration is that I shouldn't have to figure out a workaround for this. Just close the contour!

That looks suspiciously like a stray sketch line.  While it may seem that SW placed it there I believe it's always a result of the user being a little too quick with the Mouse.

• 47. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
            Mattew Stafford

A typical workflow would be:

1. - Select Sketch plane (Solidworks will often rotate it 90° from what I want)

2. - Attempt to Sketch profile.. (I create a line and I want it to go from point A to point B on screen. (Solidworks will create a really short line, so I have to escape out of the command and either delete the short line it created and start over or drag the end of the line to where I wanted it to begin with)

3. - Apply geometric constraints.

4. - Apply dimensional constraints. (I want a horizontal dimension from the end of a sketch line, to the center of a circle or edge of another line (Solidworks will often do just the opposite, no matter how much I move the mouse around... I have to zoom in and out, beat my head on the desk and do a couple back flips... then it might work).

5. - Attempt to extrude feature (Soliworks will say the contour isn't closed, only to find miscellaneous tiny lines in some corner)

6. - After erasing tiny object, extrude the object.

7. - Change material to my custom materials (I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and click a few times to find the material on my custom list, because Solidworks out of the box material list always comes of first.)

8. - Place a radius on the edge of the part (It clicks on the face instead..after 45 seconds of zooming, rotating, etc. I finally get the edge I want).

9. - Attempt to verify a measurement from a vertex on the part to the center of the arc using "Evaluate, Measure" and point to point options.  (Solidworks cannot seem to give me the choice of midpoint, center, tangent...basically anything every other program I used 20 years ago had as a standard feature).

10. - Save my part.

11. - Create an assembly using this part.

12. - Create other components using the above example.

13. - Add these parts to my assembly and try to mate them.  (The face that I want to mate cannot be selected and it picks the opposite side without a lot of work)

14. - Add my toolbox parts with supposedly smart mates (this works! only 30% of the time though)

15. - Realize that I my fastener is the wrong size, so I change the size.

16. - Solidworks closes unexpectedly and tells me I can send a report.

17. - Eat lunch and attempt to create my assembly again.

• 48. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
              Mattew Stafford

I have a few things that I plan on using the skeleton sketch for, but most of our components are weldments that are pieced together.

• 49. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                Rick Becker

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Alex Burnett wrote:

This. I am tired of SolidWorks adding this little guy when I close a contour.

That looks suspiciously like a stray sketch line. While it may seem that SW placed it there I believe it's always a result of the user being a little too quick with the Mouse.

Alex,

This happens to me often. Annoying as all get out.

Glenn,

I have been VERY careful, consciously counting my clicks, and it shows up. (I must have my mouse set to double click)

• 50. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                  Alex Burnett

Like I said, I have my workarounds to avoid this but I still feel it's a glitch in the interpretation of UI inputs. When I click the final node to close the contour, it's like SW registers this and completes the loop and then decides that my mouse button being held down and my cursor is "too far" away from the node so it creates a click-drag line to complete this. I feel it could use a tweak in that regard. That's all I'm trying to say.

• 51. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                    Glenn Schroeder

Rick Becker wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Alex Burnett wrote:

This. I am tired of SolidWorks adding this little guy when I close a contour.

That looks suspiciously like a stray sketch line. While it may seem that SW placed it there I believe it's always a result of the user being a little too quick with the Mouse.

Alex,

This happens to me often. Annoying as all get out.

Glenn,

I have been VERY careful, consciously counting my clicks, and it shows up. (I must have my mouse set to double click)

Then I don't know what to tell you.  It happened to me frequently when I was starting out, but rarely now.  Maybe some Mouse sensitivity issue?

• 52. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                      Dmitry Ofitserov

They took away pin button in SW 2015. It was very helpful to pin this formatting text panel to somewhere out of drafting area.

Now I move this panel away every time I edit or make new text note if it hover over existing text I have to see- very annoying.

Our VAR representative says it is a bug- here was no reason to eliminate that pin button.Pin button.PNG

• 53. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                        Jim Steinmeyer

Dmitry Ofitserov

I have the same problem. The idea was to have it close to where you are working to reduce mouse travel. But like you I find it in the way 1/2 the time and wish I could move it somewhere and dock it there.

• 54. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                          John Pesaturo

More of an annoyance than a bug but all the same ...

It makes me nuts how the cursor/pointer jumps off of the origin when trying to drop a part on the Origin in an assembly.

SW2017 SP 2.0

• 55. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                            Edward Poole

I have the same issue, I need to go looking for it.

• 56. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                              Frank Bos

...closing Command Manager and it dumps some of its toolbars behind... like dog droppings... peeeyew!

Command Manager Droppings.PNG

• 57. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                                Damien Petty

Aaaarrrgghh.. Agreed. Yes, very frustrating.

• 58. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                                  Ned Hutchinson

Making a drawing, with flat patterns in it and every sketch comes up and you have to hide them, sometimes one by one.

Cant show hide all sketches cause you lose the bend lines.

ScreenShot_20171024110757.png

• 59. Re: What *Minor* Bug in SOLIDWORKS Drives You Crazy
                                    Tom Helsley

This is funny... I just killed SolidWorks because a drawing got hung up.  While I was waiting for Windows to finishin killing it, I resumed reading this discussion and this was the next post that I read.  So, I checked the Rx tool and guess what?

NOTHING showed up for today .  No gray dots, no orange dots, no red dots - nothing.

EDIT:  I Launched SolidWorks after I killed it, then went back to the Rx tool just for kickers.  Then the orange dot showed up.

1 2 3 4 5 6