5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 7:39 PM by Greg Hoepfner

Can contact sets be used for a drop test?

Keith Olson

I have a simple assembly of 2 overlapping blocks, attached image. I am dropping them onto the edge of on of the blocks, bottom-most edge in image.

If I use Global Contact the drop test will run. If I use Component Contact the drop test will run.

If I use Contact Set the drop test will not run.  I get an error "Incompatible bonding is not supported by Drop Test. Please define compatible bonding."

There is not an option to make a contact set have a compatible mesh, does this mean that Contact Sets cannot be used for a drop test?

• Re: Can contact sets be used for a drop test?
          Ryan Dark

Hi Keith,

That is an interesting setup.  Can you attach the file to the thread so we can all take a look through it?

Keith Olson

Here's the model.  It is a simple setup that I am using to determine whether or not I can use contact sets for a drop test.  The split faces are there to have only a portion of that face bonded to the other block.

Ryan Dark

Keith,

Thanks for the files.  That saved a lot of time.  You are correct in that a contact set cannot itself be set to be compatible or incompatible.  In working around with your files though, it looks like you have a bug.  The initial setup where just the Contact Set is active and the Global/Component Contact are suppressed leaves it ambiguous as to whether the mesh is made compatible or incompatible.  However, when I unsuppressed the Global Contact this ambiguity should have been made explicit since that contact contains the 'Compatible Mesh' setting'.  This didn't fix it though.  It seems as though the contact set is overriding the Global Contact (as it should) with a setting that it isn't supposed to control.

You are probably looking at a bug here.  I don't see any bug reports like it in the SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base though.  It is probably unreported at this point.  You might want to get your VAR involved and get it reported at this point.

Greg Hoepfner

There is no reason to apply a contact set as bonded and a global contact as bonded in this case. If you want to only bond one of the split faces to the face on the other block, the approach is to keep the global contact bonded active and then add a contact set for no penetration for the contact faces that are not bonded. The study ran fine with this configuration. The global contact bonded is useful in that it controls whether the mesh is compatible or incompatible, so suppressing it loses the control of the mesh compatibility.