3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 7:39 PM by Greg Hoepfner

How to lock rotation in simulation

Zhuo Sun

So I am simulating this micro suspension system, which I have to apply force to produce a displacement X and Y direction, but the rotation produced is in the XY plane is unwanted (Z direction irrelevant). So how can I apply fixtures to make the designated portions only able to move in the X and Y directions but not rotate? (Or have edges constantly parallel to the X and Y axes). Hopefully without adding additional components to the model. Thx guys.

• Re: How to lock rotation in simulation
          Ryan Dark

Hi Zhou,

I read through your description a couple of times and I still am not able to image what it is that you are attempting to setup that would be both analogous to real life and not have rigid body motion.  Could you attach images of your setup and the file set you are working with?  Pictures of the real life situation would probably help too.

Zhuo Sun

Hi Ryan, thanks for the help

Capturefa.JPGCapturefgasd.JPG

Here is the system, the fixture is green and the forces applied are orange and purple. When both forces are applied, the thin beams deform, resulting in a X and Y displacement and a rotation of the mid section. The X and Y displacement are the desired data, but the rotation is the interference. So I would like to add fixture in a way so that the yellow edge highlighted in the second pic is always parallel to the Y axis, while its distance to the Y axis remains unlocked. The real life scenario is too small for observation, and this is a approximation model.

Greg Hoepfner

You could enforce the translation only in x and y direction by using roller/slider fixtures. This will of course create some excess stresses in the thin beams but should be otherwise reasonably accurate. Also you can change the displacement plot options to just show UX or UY (displacement in x or y direction)Roller_Slider.PNG.