3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 12:44 AM by Thomas Voetmann

Kits and BOMs

Dean Baragar

Hi everyone,

I am just looking for some advice, or other ways of modeling up kits to keep the BOM correct.

For example, we have a kit where we install a hub onto a welded spindle to create a new subassembly.  I have added the tire and wheel studs to this model for the purposes of a nice exploded parts view.  However, the tire and studs are part of the top level kit, NOT the hub kit.  Is there a way to promote ONLY those parts to my top level BOM? Or should I just create a new config without the tire, and add the tires to the top level.  I don't like to do this because the model slows down significantly the more top level parts there are.  I also don't want to add another layer of subassembly, because that becomes very annoying (if revisions are done to the welded spindle, its another level that needs to be revised to not change older models).

Another example would be extension kits, to change the length of the finished model.  These kits could contain many different parts throughout the model, and may move relative to each other, so it can't be put together in one subassembly.  Would the best way be to create a "dummy" subassembly with all the components hidden (but included in the BOM), then insert all of the components again in their correct spots (shown, but not included in the BOM)?  Is there any way to use folders in the feature tree to accomplish something similar?

Just looking for some advice, or ways other people are doing this type of thing.

• Re: Kits and BOMs
          Thomas Voetmann

I am not quite sure what you try to achieve so my answer probably is somewhat off.

Try to experiment with these settings in Configuration Properties in the sub-assembly.

The "Hide" option makes the sub-assembly behave as a part, so the sub-assembly properties will show in a parts-only BOM and the parts below will be hidden. This sub-assembly could be your kit.

If you make it flexible you will be able to position the individual components correct also.

• Re: Kits and BOMs
              Dean Baragar

Thanks Thomas,

I think that's going to work! I just have to set the sub-assemblies to "Show" and the weld components to "Hide".  Then use an indented BOM in my top level assembly.  Just have to make sure all the components are set-up properly!

Regarding the flexible sub-assembly, I find that it causes major headaches when the top level model moves.  For example, a simple thing like a hydraulic cylinder, set to flexible to control the motion of the model, seems to always eventually cause mate errors, or the assembly to "blow up".