2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 12:02 AM by George Most

preview of sketch - temporary sketch

George Most

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and hope to be landed in the right area.

Shortly to my intention: I create a SW-Addin in the language C #.

I could implement all previous functions with the help of the API examples.

Now I would display "sketches with text" BEFORE they created.

Is there a way to create sketches (2D) only temporarily using the API?

If I work with the "sketchmanager", the lines are created and drawn in the model.

I'm looking for a way, similar to creating with the modeler, an temporary body or edge models, so that I can display it as a temporary "body".

With a body, it is possible with the function "Display" of the class/Interface "Body2".

Using this variant, I can also display edges (also "sketch lines") as a preview.

Difficult is it only with text :-(  ==> this must be create "with hand" with the "modeler".

Because this I search for a way to preview sketches  --> here I can easily write text.

I would be delighted to find solutions and other possibilities of realization.

PS: my native language is german - i hope you can understand this translation

Best regards George Most

• Re: preview of sketch - temporary sketch
          Jacob Corder

sorry to tell you but doing this would require you to generate graphics based on font data.  getting the points of a font outline is not so easy.  I have not found a way.

if you were to create a font file that you can reference for each letter or character then you could do this.

just so you know. it is possible see

I cannot give you the code to do it as its thousands of lines of code with many class libraries.

my font file requires the use of arcs, and lines.  no splines. 

this font file is actually the font file that my machine shop uses to create their engraving paths.

these are temporary bodies. no feature associated with it. 

create segment bodies for each piece. each letter is many bodies. they are then combined later.

the other option is to just do OPEN GL graphics on the screen

Help me about OpenGL!

this is much faster

• Re: preview of sketch - temporary sketch
              George Most

Hello Mr. Jacob Corder,

many thanks for the answer.

So I had suspected it.
              Had however hoped that there was a simpler way.

Something similar I haved programmed already.
              But I have gone the simple way and have use the "GraphicPath class" from the .NET environment.
              With this you can then also add text and convert the splines of the glyphs into lines.
              So I will go this way again.

Thanks again - super forum!

Best Regards George Most