2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 11:16 AM by Stavros Pantelakis

Assembly as PDM template

Stavros Pantelakis

Hello,

I am trying to create an assembly template to quickly generate an assembly from survey data.  The assembly contains a weldment, end plates and stiffening brackets.  I would like to be able to vary the position of beams and the dimensions of the plates.

I have set the assembly as a template and have included the parts required.  The assembly and parts  get assigned their own serial number and.  It all looks right when launching the template, but the assembly references the template parts as opposed to the ones that were created along with the assembly.  Is it possible to have the references in the assembly update when launching the template?  Does any one know of a work around?

Kind regards,

Stavros

• Re: Assembly as PDM template
          B. Watkins

Have you looked at DriveWorks Xpress? I've been experimenting with it to do something similar to what you're talking about and it's working well so far.

• Re: Assembly as PDM template
              Stavros Pantelakis

Hello,

I've not really looked into DriveWorks, we will only need this for a short time.  I've modeled everything such that it can be controlled directly from the datacard.  If I cannot get the template option to work, I will leave the assembly to be copied with copy tree, it would have been nice to be able to quickly edit dimensions from the datacard.  You would think that using the assembly and part files as part of the template would update the references in the assembly itself (perhaps it does and it is user error ).   Currently what I am getting is an assembly file with the same part files references as the template file, and two part files that should be the ones referenced in the assembly.