16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 10:58 PM by Phuc Nguyen

mirror Rebuild error

Benjamin Shipp

Can't figure out why the "ribs" (had to loft them cause I couldn't figure out why the rib feature wouldn't work) won't mirror over the Right Plane...

• Re: mirror Rebuild error
          JOHN GEORGE

I think minor geometry issues may be the reason for error

Loft1 and Boss-Extrude3 has gap in between

Try Loft1 as a solid body(disable merge option)

Circular pattern body option

Mirror

Now use combine and add all together to form a single solid

Hope this works

Solid Air

It appears the mirror fails because of the loft feature.  If I try to mirror just the loft, the message returned is "Loft operation failed to complete".  Also when you are working with non planer surfaces, you run the risk of zero thickness geometry.  When I try to extrude your sketch9, that is the message that comes back.  That may be affecting the rib feature (I have never used this feature so it is only a guess).

Paul Salvador

Ben,..agree, with John George and Solid Air.... and I can guess/assume now why you did the Loft.... that is, Sketch12 (the parent of 13 and 14) could have been extruded mid... but it results in a "ztg" (image attached and error)... but your loft (with 13 and 14) it did not give you this error... well.. it eventually shows up later.

ztgx.png

Solid Air

Alternate solution for you (since I do not know your design intent).  Get rid of the loft (I do not think it gave you the profile for the rib you wanted anyway - curved rib surface).  Extend Sketch12 so it goes past the 17.5 diameter inner hub (I used 0.5mm see screen shot below).  Now do a midplane extrude to the thickness you want.  I still could get the mirror to work after the circular pattern so I reversed the order to get it to work (see other screen shot).  So is this for a school project (I see the little graduation cap by the root feature which normally means the model was created in an educational version)?

Benjamin Shipp

Thank you all for your help! And, yes, I am back in school, again... I realized a much better solution was to "revolve cut" the contour of the rib then to "extrude cut" out one segment, then linear pattern the cut. Thank you again for taking your time to help me solve the issue.Wheel & Axle - 03.JPGSteps.jpg

Glenn Schroeder

You have two basic issues causing the problem, but they're easily fixed.  Edit your Loft, deselecting the "Merge result" option.  By doing this the Loft will be created as a distinct, separate body.

Next, edit the Circular Pattern.  Clear the selections for "Features to Pattern", select "Bodies to Pattern" instead, and choose the Loft.

Delete the existing Mirror and create a new one, this time selecting "Bodies to Mirror" instead of the default "Features to Mirror".

After doing this you can use the Combine feature to merge the bodies, if needed.

Benjamin Shipp

Thank you Glen for taking the time to show me how to fix the issue! As I previously stated, I made it work a different way after getting frustrated, BUT, I really do appreciate you showing me how I could have done it successfully using my initial method. Coming from a MAYA and MAX modeling and animation background, the transition to Solidworks has been a bit tricky and difficult at times. BUT, again I really do appreciate all of the fantastic feedback from everyone. This is definitely one of the best Forums I've ever been in.

Phuc Nguyen, I don't know what format you want me to save it as... It's not possible to save as an "older version" to my knowledge, but I did save it as a .3dxml file... Not sure if that is helpful, but if there's a different format you'd like then please let me know.

Phuc Nguyen

Benjamin!

Could you post sldprt in older version so that everybody can follow your query? I've used SW 2016.

Thanks

Frank Bos

Delete Guide Curve #1 for initial method and it works fine in SW2017.