4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 1:16 PM by Lakhvinder Singh

Thermal Study in SW Professional

Lakhvinder Singh

Hi All,

I am doing a steady state thermal study on a simple Aluminum cylinder, enclosed from both sides. Inside the Al cylinder, there is an item (electronic component) in the center which is dissipating total heat of 50 Watt (see attached photo). The outside temperature on the cylinder is 40 degrees celsius.

For the analysis I am selecting the inner surfaces and applying a heat power of 50 Watt. Then I select the outside surface and apply a convection of 10 W/m2.K, with the ambient temperarture as 40 degrees. Is this the correct way to do the analysis? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

LS

• Re: Thermal Study in SW Professional
          Bill McEachern

it might be. What is the expected temp of the surface of the inner cylinder? If radiation then no, if convection then its an approximation. Flow is a better tool for this sort of problem.

Lakhvinder Singh

Bill,

We do not know the expected temperature of the inner cylinder. The inner cylinder is in reality many electronic components, cards etc. which we have estimated will produce heat equivalent to around 50 Watt. These inner components are being cooled by a small fan, so that there is airflow inside.

Bill McEachern

Well Ok then not very hot in terms of radiative heat transfer or your electronics are toast. So there is some sort of gas/fluid in the space between the cylinders? I would say you need use the flow program to deal with the convective issues. If you don't have that then you are into making some approximations. You need a way to transfer the energy from the inner cylinder surface to the outer cylinders inner surface. You need to stick in a medium that will transfer the heat to approximate the convective loops. This gets tricky - you can try solving a network problem to get an approximate conduction equivalence to the convective heat transfer but I am just guessing as I haven't thought hard enough about this. Feel free to contact me if you are looking for a source to model this for you.