4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 2:11 PM by Aiden Ford

Can't use Smart Dimension on a imported .obj file (From 3DS max)

Aiden Ford

Hello everyone

I'm a 3Ds max user working to build a Mars Rover Opportunity

with real dimensions with every detail  3d model opportunity rover

and I exported single element (Mars_Rover_Opportunity_Body.3ds)

from my 3ds max project file to solidworks 2017 (Mars_Rover_Opportunity_Body.obj) to work with Solidworks about dimensions

it worked succesfully, Then in Solidworks when I open ''Mars_Rover_Opportunity_Body.obj'' and converted it in .sldprt and try to use smart dimension.

It gives me the small smart dimension icon but doesn't show any dimension when clicking on the imported object part, corner, etc...

without getting dimension, I couldn't get a proper ''drawing from parts'' for the element.

Anyone could help me please? Thanks

• Re: Can't use Smart Dimension on a imported .obj file (From 3DS max)
          Chris Dordoni

Aiden,

When you choose Mesh Files, click Options button. You Need to use Suface or Solid Body option. Note this is linited to meshes with less than 15,000 triangles or so. Graphics body is only useful as a visual reference. It cannot be dimensioned or used for any modeling functions.

Ryan McVay

Since the obj file is a facet-based file. So basically, its going to be crap inside most CAD systems.

You might be able to work on the data in SW2018. But I'm not sure how robust the SW implementation of convergent modeling is.

Convergent modeling is the blending of facet-based geometry and brep geometry and part of the Siemens PL Parasolid modeling kernel that is used by SW and about 15 other CAx applications.

Chris Dordoni

Poly modelers are great at making stuff look real in rendering and animation and is quite a common for people without any engineering or industrial/product design background to use them to develop something that needs to be manufactured.

It's hard to tell clients that have a great looking design in poly model that they have to pay again to have it remodeled in cad. People see this stuff all the time and its just natural to expect that 3d models are universal.

I wish that VFX education could somehow include some basic training to explain the difference between poly modelers and cad modelers, although I don't have any specific ideas about how that could be worked in.

Aiden Ford

Thank you very much Ryan and Chris for your help.

Chris your advice worked really great.

I can now use smart dimension even if it requires to be more precise

to have the perfect dimension because the body is like in pieces. (see pictures)

but at least I can now use "smart dimension'' I'm gonna try to find a way to merge every piece on the body but not sure to succeed.

Once I'm done with smart dimension and go to ''make drawing from parts''

do you know how to make appear the dimension on the sheet? just asking because mine are not showing on the sheet.

Anyway thank you very much guys.

AF

Screenshot 2017-10-13 19.20.05.png