6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 8:05 PM by Stephen Gioacchini

MODIFYING SYMBOLS

Stephen Gioacchini
      Is it possible to modify existing or creat your own modifying symbols. I use a square A-Z symbol to call out custommer connections. I would like to make one with AA-ZZ.

tHERE ARE OTHER SITUATIONS WHERE i HAVE COME ACROSS THIS NEED.
        • MODIFYING SYMBOLS
          Jeff Hamilton
          At least to some degree, you can add symbols to the gtol.sym file.
          The downsides are that it can be tedious to get what you want, and that you have to replace the gtol.sym file every time you upgrade a version.
          • MODIFYING SYMBOLS
            Eddie Cyganik

Steve,

As Jeff mentioned, one of the downsides to modifying "gtol.sym" file is maintenance & management from upgrade to upgrade.

Another downside is that whoever reads your drawings in SolidWorks, SolidWorksViewer and/or eDrawings must also have the symbol file loaded on their workstations .

Knowing this, if you are going to proceed, it should be a fairly easy task of creating what you need, as the symbols already exists for the letters A-Z, with & without periods. Therefore, you could copy the symbols and then add the double characters you need. Of course with double characters, you'll probably need to increase the size of the squares. But once again, this only need be done once and copied to satisfy your needs.
              • MODIFYING SYMBOLS
                Stephen Gioacchini
                Mark. I do use blocks for symbols in some instances but in this one I prefer the symbol stays with the dimension. No need to update when dimensions change.

Eddie. I have no issues with sharing since all of our drawings get saved to AutoCad before sending out. Could you please forgive my ignorence and tell me where/how to edit the gtol file?
                  • MODIFYING SYMBOLS
                    Eddie Cyganik
                    <br />Steve,<br /><br />   Basically, using a standard ASCII Editor, like Notepad, open the file. There are some basic instructions at the top, see below:<br /><br /> <b>SolidWorks, v7.1<br />;;<br />;;  Geometric Tolerancing Symbols Library.<br />;;<br />;;  Format:<br />;;<br />;;     #<Name of library>,<Description of library><br />;;     *<Name of symbol>,<Description of symbol><br />;;     A,LINE xStart,yStart,xEnd,yEnd<br />;;     A,CIRCLE xCenter,yCenter,radius<br />;;     A,ARC xCenter,yCenter,radius,startAngle,endAngle<br />;;     A,FARC xCenter,yCenter,radius,startAngle,endAngle<br />;;     A,TEXT xLowerLeft,yLowerLeft,<letter(s)><br />;;     A,POLY x1,y1,x2,y2,x3,y3<br />;;<br />;;  Units:<br />;;<br />;; All x, y, and radius values are in the symbols grid space (0.0 to 1.0),<br />;; where 0,0 is the lower left corner and 1,1 is the upper right corner.<br />;; The grid space is considered to be the height of a character squared.<br />;;          All angle values are in degrees.</b><br /><br /><br />Below is the first section & symbol for Square Flag Notes with out a period.<br /><br /><b><br />;; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />;;<br />;;                                             Square Flag Notes Numbers<br />;;<br />#S#,Flag Squ 1-99<br />*1,Square 1<br />A,LINE 0.,-0.3,1.6,-0.3<br />A,LINE 1.6,-0.3,1.6,1.3<br />A,LINE 1.6,1.3,0.,1.3<br />A,LINE 0.,1.3,0.,-0.3<br />A,TEXT .8,.5,1</b><br /><br />So, a new symbol for Square Flag Notes may look like:<br /><br /><b>;;<br />#S#,Flag Squ AA-ZZ<br />*AA,Square AA<br />A,LINE 0.,-0.3,1.6,-0.3<br />A,LINE 1.6,-0.3,1.6,1.3<br />A,LINE 1.6,1.3,0.,1.3<br />A,LINE 0.,1.3,0.,-0.3<br />A,TEXT .8,.5,AA</b><br /><br />Make one and test prior to copying.<br /><br />