7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2017 5:01 AM by Mark Dougall

Corner Break

Mark Dougall

When I select an area for a Break Corner in sheet metal, why will it only select a few Corners on the area and not all of them?

I can understand why it wouldn't select inside Corners as a Default but in the example below it will only select one Corner out of 4 from a rectangular extruded cut.

corner breaking.png

Has it got something to do with the Features I decide to use. This Feature above was a flange from a sheet metal base and then an extruded cut.

• Re: Corner Break
          Frank Krockenberger

Mark,

I am able to do a select window around my part it grabs all corners,

Evan Dlugopolski

Good question..I have never noticed this before because i usually just drag a window over the corners I would like to break like Frank suggested.  It seems that this feature does not break inside corners when selecting a face.  Not sure exactly why it only selected one corner in your example.  Was that notch cut or drawn into the flange?

Frank Krockenberger

That is a cutout with the larger radius,

I also added a tab by extrude to thickness and by a tab.

I did not select a face just a window select.

Mark Dougall

The initial Corner Break in my question above was a flange with an extruded cut in it. Here you can see I have edited the Sketch of the flange and both Corners are now collected (excluding inside Corners once again).

corner breaking.png

I find this behaviour strange as it happens often and I particularly like using the area select function in Corner Break. I can select the Corners individually when I need to but sometimes that can be more time consuming. If I wanted to select the Corners individually I would much rather use the fillet Feature and Corner Break seems to lend itself well to Sheet Metal parts.

I have also encountered other odd behaviour in that I cannot choose certain Corners to break such as the example below. My mouse was hovering over the edge but would only allow selection of the underside face behind it. This particular example is a circular extrude of the pattern over the rectangular base flange.

corner breaking.png

Overall I like using Break Corner but think there are some odd decisions in it's creation that impede ist General use.

Evan Dlugopolski

Agreed,  It would be nice to select a face and have it select all exterior corners.  The fastest way I know of, as mentioned, is to click-drag a box around the corners you would like to break.  This is much faster than selecting them.  Also, just in case you didn't already know, the corner trim feature excludes model edges that are not part of the external sheet metal geometry. For example...

When i click drag around the entire part as shown below....

Only the exterior 4 corners are selected.

Mark Dougall

That is interesting and odd. It's what I assumed was happening but why would they leave out all non-sheet metal Features? It's not like you can make a sheet metal cut or anything. Unless should everything be drawn within sheet metal Sketches? That doesn't make sense to me as in examples above.

Not choosing inside Corners does make sense to me but again it would be nice to have an Option box to choose whether you want inside edges selected or not.