10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2017 12:34 PM by Said Kacioui

The Steel Detailer/TSD or equivalent?

Tony Malejko

Has anyone out there used the Steel Detailer add-on? I'm looking for at least something similar that is as powerful as it looks. I haven't been able to get an email back from them, even regarding a time frame for 2017... and with 2018 around the corner, that doesn't look good. I do a lot of drawings of cat-walks and platforms... so something like that would make my life unbelievably easier not having to model every connection.

• Re: The Steel Detailer/TSD or equivalent?
          Gary Blenkhorn

I bought a license of TSD and just a few weeks after I did the main developer of The Steel Detailer, Michael Crawford left Quadro Design in Australia and the support from Quadro has been almost non existent.  Quadro will not respond to any emails I send them.  I do not recommend this add-on at this time until they can prove themselves.  The people left at Quadro are users and not completely up on the inner workings of STD.  They claim they have hired someone to fill Michael's void but they are almost one year behind on a TSD 2017 release update.  And because of that I cannot update Solidworks to 2017 as TSD will not run in SW 2017 so I am told.

VAR's do their best with support from a user's requirement but if there are problems with the database the VAR's cannot help.  The TSD database is very temperamental and crashes if you make the slightest of mistakes.  With no support from Quadro the users will be gone to something else in no time.  I am currently looking into other options for my structural steel design.  My only problem is I am out a lot of money for software that has no current support from the developer.

I would stay very far away at this point in time unless things take a major upturn at Quadro.

Another option that some users are now looking at is IC3D SW add-on but I have not looked into it too much yet.  I am now looking very seriously at AutoCad Advanced Steel.  It is a shame as I love using Solidworks. 

Deepak Gupta

Apart from IC3D Steel, have you looked into SolidACE (another SW add-on)

Tony Malejko

Thanks for the info Gary, that's such a shame to hear. I'm still on the search for something so I just checked them both out. IC3D looks fairly promising but not as intuitive as TSD was. Their demonstration was from 2014, is it updated to work with 2017? I'm not seeing it on the product page. SolidACE hasn't updated their presentation since 2010 and the brochure is from 2011 so that's not very convincing the product gets much support. Only 1 update to their blog in over 2 years. Why don't SW addons get real support? Does nobody even use them?

Gary Blenkhorn

Gary Blenkhorn

Tony

Soildace is Builtworks and at the time I was looking I was told to stay away from it and was pushed towards TSD.  It is definitely a shame that there is not a good SW add-on for structural steel detailing.  I thought TSD would be the one and it does have great potential as there were many features that I really liked but with no support it will not survive.

Good luck in your search and please post back if you find something.

Said Kacioui

Hi Gary,

I'm in same situation, as soon as i buy this addon,  the Cheater Michael left Quadro and no one to continue to devellop TSD, So I'm personnaly ready to intent any procdure to recover our Low , this license should include 1 year support including upgrades but Nothing came

what a shame !

I Tried IC3d and I found it very good , more light , one thing missing is Cn outputs for angle profiles otherwise i will buy a licence which is 2100 dollars

Gary Blenkhorn

I just got an update from my VAR.  They are no longer selling TSD and all support for TSD must come from TSD and not the VAR.  Well if TSD does not respond to emails then I would say support is non existent.  Now to find out if I can update SW to 2017 and still use TSD.  If not than goodbye TSD for ever.

Said Kacioui

Gary, it is TSD 2017 on SW2017.

Me too I liked it , even a long marking , doing connection on angles without welding transform the first selected to assembly parts which is not correct, dstv export was a fake .... to much improvement to do ...