7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2017 1:11 PM by Ryan Dark

Can`t add pressure to surface in FEA

Conrad Cormier

Hi

I`m having some issues with adding a pressure to the middle section (split line) of the attached mat. it was working fine last week but i`ve made a few changes, mostly move the split line box location. And now it just won`t recognize it as a face. If I suppress or delete my extrude cut, so the full mat is used, it will allow a pressure, but then the FEA takes way to long.

• Re: Can`t add pressure to surface in FEA
          Christian Chu

A little bit out of topic

1) You don't have to zip files before attaching files to this forum. Just select a file and it'll be zipped automaticlaly

2) if you really want to zip your files, try not to use rar as many can't unzip your files

Keith Frankie

I get the same error in 2017 SP 3.  It must be a bug.

I could not recreate the error with a simple single part-in-assembly.  It must have something to do with the geometry.

I was able to get everything to work by simply checking the option "propagate feature to parts' within the 'Cut-Extrude1' feature.  I'd imagine any other method to trim the parts (other than the basic assembly cut you used) will work.  (Other options would include just putting the cut feature in the parts in the first place, or round-tripping the parts (export to neutral format and re-import)).

Ryan Dark

Hi Conrad,

I tested around with your models and found something odd with the assembly level cut.  The cut is splitting your single body in the "mat" into two bodies but the program only seems to recognize one body.  However, if you edit the assembly level cut and enable "Propagate feature to parts" both bodies are then recognized.  At that point you are able to apply a load to the split line face.

You definitely have a bug on your hands but using "Propagate feature to parts" should let you get around it for now.

EDIT: It looks like this is your culprit:

SPR 551943: Simulation doesn't realize the body created by assembly feature cutting

Conrad Cormier

Hi Guys

Like was mentioned I had to get the extrude cut into the mat assembly instead of in the top level so I now can add the pressure. But i`m having more issues and it`s getting very frustrating and ridiculously time consuming fighting with this thing. It now will not accept my contact sets. It will let me add them, but when I tryed to run I get a error saying "contact entity cannot be processed properly" and then it list all my contact sets. Since this is a plastic mat with a foam core that has a lot of faces, I was initially doing a auto find on the contact set so all the touching faces would have a bonded constrain. And it was working fine. Now it just won`t process. I go it down to two bonded contact and i`m still getting that damn error. Please help.

To reply to Christian Chu, the reason I had done the rar was because the attach function only allow us to select individual files, not a complete folder. So that way I can add only one folder instead of adding 5 separate files like I have done on this post. 

Ryan Dark

Hi Conrad,

The new setup of your files still does not have the option for "Propagate feature to parts" turned on in the cut that trims down the model to a rectangular section.  So, the "mat" body which should be two features is still acting as one in the program.  You would want to enable this setting in that Cut Extrude before proceeding further.  Otherwise, you are still under the effects of this SPR:

SPR 551943: Simulation doesn't realize the body created by assembly feature cutting

Conrad Cormier

Hi Ryan

If the simulation is taking the foam and mat as one, does that mean the I don`t have to add all the contact sets between those two parts? That would be great. Now would it still consider the two different properties of the foam and mat?

Ryan Dark

Conrad,

It is not the foam and the mat I am referring to.  You are using an assembly level cut to split the one body of the mat into two pieces.  The program (both SOLIDWORKS side and Simulation side) is not recognizing these as two separate pieces because it is an assembly level cut which seems to directly lead to the definition issues you are having with the pressure and the contacts.  Move this cut into the part feature tree itself and I believe you will be able to proceed in the analysis.