12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2018 1:29 PM by Ryan Dark

Failed to save document

Richard Flynn

Hi,

One of our engineers is having difficulty saving files. The files are saved in a folder on our servers when he opens a file makes changes and saves it he gets an error "Failed to save document" he is then disconnected from the network drive and cannot access it until he reboots the PC or logs off.

He recently upgraded to Solidworks 2017 from 2016 it worked for a short while but has stop working in the last 4 - 5 days.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

• Re: Failed to save document
          John Stoltzfus

There is a SPR out for that message, however 99% of the time it did save the part, do a test to see if you can re-create the issue and then when the box pops up, just hit ok or x out and then check the file, should be saved, even when it saves it never ever saved it...

Frank Krockenberger

This is what stopped it for me, turning off the SW user forum 2016

Also make sure that windows explorer is not open to that folder,

sounds crazy but I hit rebuild, save , until it saved.

Christian Chu

Believe it's more like network issue than SW - are you sure he/she is fully accessed to the network?

Hardik Patel

Hello Richard,

Same thing was happing in my company when we were using server to save all the SW data. It's unpredictable that when this error pops up. Our company fed up with this issue and we contacted our SW dealer to find out the solution. He told that this is not SW problem at all. He told us to stop putting all files in servers. He suggested to use Workgroup PDM or EPDM as per our staff requirement. We had choose workgroup PDM. And believe me we all were so so much happy with the result of WPDM. Try using WPDM if possible, or stop saving data on the server. That's the only way I guess.

Hardik

Jaanus Urb

I have a same problem but for me it does not save any document. I recently removed the old version and installed a new 2017 student version.

Ryan Dark

Jaanus,

Where are you storing/accessing your CAD files from as you are trying to work with them?  Is any of your data stored on a network drive, flash drive, external drive, or folder managed by a cloud storage system (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.)?

Jaanus Urb

Hi Ryan

All my files are stored on the computer hard drive on My Documents, but one project i have on hard drive and is linked with GrabCAD. Even if i do a simple part and want to save it on a hard drive it says "Failed to save document". Mayby i will try to remove the Solidworks again. I have it installed with different serial numbers (academic version that i get from school) mayby this is some issue.

Ryan Dark

Have you tested under the SOLIDWORKS Rx (found in the Windows Start menu by searching "SOLIDWORKS Rx") safe mode to bypass Tools/Options settings?  These settings would not be typically cleared out by re-installations and you could have corrupt settings in there leading to continued bad behavior.

This would be worth a test.

Aj Cabana

I am having the same issue. Were you able to resolve the problem?

Ryan Dark

Hi AJ,

Where do you store/access your CAD files from when you get this error?

EDIT: I was hoping for a response but in the absence of that I just wanted to post some general advice.  This error is known to happen at a higher frequency when utilizing non-local storage (network/server drives, external/flash drives, etc) or when accessing files in local folders managed by cloud storage providers (Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive, etc.).  If you are seeing this error and your storage is either non-local or managed by a cloud service you may want to move into a local folder not managed by a cloud service and see if it doesn't help.

Paul Salvador

btw,..this has happened for years..  there are many threads and each workaround per situation.  (it's never been fixed..so much fun)