3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2017 5:45 PM by Adam Hartles

Options File user in multiple groups

Shaun Toms

Is it possible to have certain users in multiple groups where they can draw a license from Editor pool or Contributor pool?

We have a number of users that are 100% Solidworks users, basically using SW all day long where the editor and SW licenses are allocated/reserved for them. We have another group of users that may use SW only a few times a week and for only a fraction of the day if they do use it. These users pull from the remaining pool of licenses.

However, if all the remaining licenses are checked out and they don't need SW, could they pull from the Contributor licenses to do the PDM work they need to do rather then use up the editor licenses which prevents the people that need to launch SW from launching it?

• Re: Options File user in multiple groups
          Adam Hartles

Hi Shaun

I believe the license of PDM a client pulls is based on their Administration tool under Help > About as pictured. So you would have to change them to Contributor here and then i think they'd attempt to pull the contributor license from the SNL. I am not sure PDM licenses have the hierarchy of license types to fall back on like SolidWorks would (i.e. if Premium not available take Professional or Standard). If the below is the solution it would be something they'd have to remember to swap around if they ever need the CAD Editors in the future

Shaun Toms

I was actually thinking the same thing. But was hoping there might be a way to do it with the options file in some way. Unfortunately, I don't see a way. But to be fair, I'm not an options file expert either so I could be missing something. 

Adam Hartles

this is S-067067 from the knowledge base- a bit wordy but I think ultimately states the license taken is based on the type of install on the client machine which I think can be altered in the admin tool as I pictured above:

In which order will SOLIDWORKS PDM licenses be checked out from the SNL server if you log in via different client types or from different client systems?

Starting with Enterprise PDM 2015, client licenses are managed on a SolidNetworkLicense (SNL) server.  When a client logs into a file vault, the client will first contact the SNL server to check out a license and if successful the client will be logged in.

Which license type will be checked out from the SNL server is controlled by the client type selected during install.  To change the license type on the client, either use the help, about dialog in the administration tool or modify the installation via programs and features.

If there are multiple license types (CAD Editor, Contributor, Viewer and PSL) available on the SNL server, the following rules apply in PDM (if the first license option "a" is not available it tries to use option "b" and so on):

Logging in from PDM CAD Editor client:

a. Check for Editor License.

b. Check for PSL license.

Logging in from PDM Contributor client:

a. Check for Contributor license.

Logging in from PDM Viewer client:

a. Check for Viewer license.

Logging in from PDM Web client:

b. Check for Editor license.

c. Check for PSL license.

Logging in from PDM Web2 client:

If using the Web license option:

b. Check for Editor license.

c. Check for PSL license.

If using the Viewer license option:

a. Check for Viewer license.

Additional rules

----------------

A. Logging in to a single vault takes one license for each separate client system being logged in.

B. Logging in to a single vault from a different concurrent profile/terminal session on same client system takes an additional license.

C. Logging in to multiple vaults on the same SQL server does not take an additional license if using same login name from same client system.

D. Logging in to multiple vaults on different SQL servers, using same SNL server, does not take an additional license if using same login name from same client system.

E. Logging out of vaults does not release license until same user on the client system logs out of all vaults.

F. Logging in to a replicated vault will take the license from the same SNL server that is specified for the vault, regardless which site you log in from.

G. Logging in from web client will take one license per Internet Explorer session.

H. Logging in from web2 client will take one license per web browser se