11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 3:30 PM by Pete Yodis

PDFCreator - macro to run?

Wayne Tiffany
      We are probably going to start using a print to PDF process rather than a Saveas PDF process because of problems that we have with some of the large drawings and our KIP plotter. Many people have suggested PDFCreator because it gives you the option of all the paper sizes and it does a fine job and it's free. We have tried it a bit and it does seem to do ok.

Currently I have a SaveAsPDF button to do such, but now I would like that functionality for the Print to PDF functionality. Has anyone written anything like that yet?

WT
        • PDFCreator - macro to run?
          Hi Wayne,

Could you clarify how the Print to PDF differs from the Save As PDF. Aren't they essentially doing the same thing?

I currently also use the SaveAsPDF button but also have the PDF955 printer driver installed which allows me to "print" any document to PDF format.

Thanks
              Mohamed Abdel Moniem
              See the attached Macro I wish this macro meets your need
                Wayne Tiffany

Wayne Easton wrote:

Hi Wayne,

Could you clarify how the Print to PDF differs from the Save As PDF. Aren't they essentially doing the same thing?

Thanks

I don't really know details of the differences, but I know that we have some drawings that when the Save As PDF is used to create them, then some of them print on the KIP with the graphics gone. We get balloons, notes, etc, but not the geometry. Others of that set print fine. Others will lock up the system and you have to go kill them to get things moving again.

We took one of the the "killers" and did a Print To PDF and it submitted and printed in about 10 seconds vs. maybe never.

At this point the evidence suggests that we are safer across the board in going with the Print To PDf rather than the Save As PDF.

WT
                    Pete Yodis
                    Wayne,

In my limited experience in creating PDF's here, we have had better success using BlueBeam's pdf creation software rather than the built in Adobe pdf translater that is used in the save to pdf functionality in SolidWorks. BlueBeam seems to give better results across the board for us compared to the save-as pdf file in SolidWorks. BlueBeam does work like a printer. SolidWorks did employ BlueBeam capability in past releases, but then switched to Adobe I think for their 3D pdf capability (which doesn't seem to be used much anyway and is really slow performing in my quick evaluation). We also use BlueBeam for adding editable fields on certain PDF documents. We place those fields on specific documents that customer service might interact with our customers. Customer service can take that PDF file (really like a PDF tempalte) that we have created, and edit only the information that is pertinent to the customer they are dealing with - through the use of those editable fields. Seems to work really nice here. Not too pricey either for a lot of capability.

Pete
                        Wayne Tiffany
                        Thanks - might be worth a look.

WT
                          Blake Dahle
                          As far as writting a Macro using the API for the ability to Print to PDF, it seems to me to be problematic. The problem is that most all these programs that act as a printer and output PDF on print, require direct user input to go through dialog boxes (name the document, specify file directory, etc.) Its easy enough to make a macro to launch the print command, and specify the chosen software as the printer, and even the pages you want to print. Though you would still have to go through the softwares dialogs manually.
                              Wayne Tiffany
                              Well, that's exactly what I was seeing and hoping there was a solution. Maybe there still is, but I'll do the manual method until it appears. Thanks.

WT
                                  Blake Dahle
                                  If you have a good background in programming it is possible for sure. I have seen open source code for creating your own Printer for making PDF's, and you could write a program that would take variables passed from SW and export a PDF.

I dont think that this would be a quick and easy project though, but it is something to look at. I know the code is out there and available, its just finding the time to learn it and put it all together.
                                    Pete Yodis
                                    Wayne,

just food for thought. We have a custom file property on our drawings that lists the sheet size (Both for DWG and .SLDDRW files). Programmatically, this data could be read and used to determine which print setup to use to create a pdf file. If you are doing this in a data management program, then DBWorks seems to have a nice print setup - far better than the PDMWorks WorkGroup implementation - which is lousy for many reasons (most of which it can handle only one printer and sheet size at a time for each print job - so you couldn't print a mix of sheet sizes on one job). With DBWorks batch plot impelmentation you could print different sheet sizes and different printers all in one batch plot job.