10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 12:14 PM by Tom Gagnon

Anyone have a source for, or a model of, a 4" 45° NPT street elbow?

Kevin Andrews

Well, the whole thread was summed up in the title...I have looked for about 2 hours trying to find a 4" NPT 45° street elbow as a model.

McMaster stops around 2"

Traceparts is no help

B2B didn't help either

CadTutor, and all of the other cad download locations came up as a bust as well.

Even 3DCC was a no go...

YES, I could have modeled it on my own by now, but I was determined to find that needle in a haystack.

• Re: Anyone have a source for, or a model of, a 4" 45° NPT street elbow?
          Christian Chu

Have you tried McMater Carr or 3D central for downloading 3D models?

Shane Kozlowski

Are you trying to avoid using the design library? If not it has many pipe fittings, though, it does not model the actual threads.

Tom Gagnon

You are totally on your own.

No offense, no kidding, and just realism. 4" is outside of common sizes. 45º is less available than 90º. Street Elbows are less available than elbows. These three factors are combined in your request to result in a lot of similar or related items, but that is indeed one heckuva needle to find. I don't suppose you're looking for XXS schedule, while you're at it? 6000#? Unobtainium material? We can keep adding further restrictions towards the impossible to find.

Are you able to purchase this item? From where (rhetorical in context, as it doesn't matter to us)? Contact vendor, have them contact supplier, cold call manufacturer, only to get a dimensional cutsheet at best. You likely won't find what you are after.

Shane Kozlowski, that is not a Street Elbow. Street elbows have one male end and one female end. Street elbows are not included in SWx download packages. BT,DT.

I've used available sizes of street Ells from McMaster-Carr before. Out of size range there pretty much means you'll be making your own.

I would start with a 2" 45º Street Elbow from McMaster-Carr. Roll it back to first feature, and edit sketches and features to recreate with new dimensions from there, rolling it forward incrementally and applying alterations. At least the feature order will be present to mimic.

Post it to 3DCC when done, if it's worth paying forward.

Kevin Andrews

I marked your answer as the correct answer for it was as correct as it could be...

To answer your question(s) regarding availability: YES - it is available. My local supplier can get and Dixon Valve also offers (part number SE454000)......even though you said those questions were rhetorical.

McMaster is the first place I look when I need to download a model. Then I go through 3D Content Central, Fastenal, Traceparts, etc...

I reached out to Dixon Valve and spoke to one of their engineers. He was going to reach out to their supplier to see if they would be willing to send it over. Then he came back with some response that was questionable as to whether or not it was intended for me...so, I just left that one alone.

My local supplier afforded me the dimensional information for the one she can get. I finally got the bright idea to take two downloaded parts from McMaster (a 4"NPT 45° threaded elbow and a 4"NPT 4" long nipple)..using the dimensional information provided to me from the local and the two downloaded model, I was able to muster an assembly together to work for my needs.

I was only concerned with the location of the start and end of the model, so it didn't matter, to me, if it was 100% correct, or not, in the middle section of the body. If I knew, without a doubt, that this model was 100% correct, I would share it on 3DCC.

Now, since this was put together as an assembly...anyone know how I can save it out as a single solid body (part)?

Dennis Dohogne

Tom Gagnon wrote:

I would start with a 2" 45º Street Elbow from McMaster-Carr. Roll it back to first feature, and edit sketches and features to recreate with new dimensions from there, rolling it forward incrementally and applying alterations. At least the feature order will be present to mimic.

Tom's suggestion to start with the McM-C part is the best way to make your own as a parametric single part.  Since you have the dimensional information from a vendor you should be good to go.

If you just want a single dumb part made from your assembly you can Save As and select one of the options:

When you open that part it will likely be a multi-body part, but everything will be fixed and it will all be in one single part file.

Kevin Andrews

I would agree that the starting with the part from McMaster would be the best way (Tom's suggestion) and I would gladly do that IF I know that everything increases at the same rate - or that there design is equation driven. With anything threaded, I know that it isn't going to be the case because thread pitch changes as you increase the size.

It would also depend on if I agreed to the way the part was created from Solidworks. I have seen times when a simple dimension change, on their model, threw everything out of whack - we all know that there are several ways to do things in Solidworks. Their way may not be the way that I am most familiar with.

In the end, my decision is based on: how crucial it is for the model I create to be exact and what method will I use to get the end result in the least amount of time.

In this case, The only crucial measurements were the projection distances from the center point of the 45° angle (leg length - 2.61" on the female and 3.70" on the male). After looking at McMaster's model for the 2" NPT street elbow, I felt it would take less time to merge two models together and "fib" in the center section - but keep it visually as accurate as possible.