AnsweredAssumed Answered

Studying the New-in-2018 Misaligned Concentric Mates

Question asked by Alin Vargatu on Oct 10, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2017 by Stephen Bittner

Disclaimer: This discussion is not about best practices for mating, so if you strongly dislike the potential introduced by the new functionality, please do not comment here. Know that you can turn off this behaviour completely at user, or team level, as shown below:

So, what goes on when you mate misaligned holes with this new mate? A few things to consider ahead of time:

1.  Set the maximum deviation and the "default misalignment" behaviour in the document properties:

What follows is what I found out this morning. I welcome any feedback from SW employees and users. I am pretty sure there is more in this functionality tha tI have not yet discovered.

2. When applying the mate I found out three critical things, that are not intuitive or documented anywhere:

• The mate does not allow for dynamic pivoting of the components inside the misalignment tolerance. That would be nice, but it does not work. If you need to see part moving to simulate the clearance between a pin and a hole, use a limit distance mate between the two axes.
  • Between any two components, you could have only 1 (one) misaligned concentric mate:

• The plane defined by the axes of the first component's group of 2 holes is coincident with the plane defined by the axes of the second component's group of 2 holes.

Please let me know what else you find out. Also let's brainstorm the opportunity to propose new enhancements to this functionality.

Outcomes