5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2009 11:54 AM by Ron Betser

Scaling while keeping relations

Ron Betser
      I am trying to figure out a way to scale points in a sketch and yet keep the relations. The reason for this is I am using the points to control the layout of components in a assembly. In one station of my assembly I have the points fully defined then I need to scale the points so I can aligin the next stations components with a scale factor. If I can keep them related then if my layout spacing changes the points and thier components will all update together.
        • Scaling while keeping relations
          Charles Culp
          You could use a design table, then use the excel functions (multiplication) to adjust them. I do not know of a "scale sketch" function.

If you did it inside a part file (this would be a good use for a virtual component), you can use the scale feature. So just turn your sketch into a feature (extrude, surface fill, planar surface), and then scale it using the scale function. Then in the assembly have another sketch that uses "convert entities" for the exterior geometry, and it will scale with the feature.
              Mark Kaiser
              Tools>sketch tools>scale, or Tools>sketch tools>modify. Both will scale sketches, I believe the with the scale command you can select which sketch entities to scale, with modify, it's all or nothing.
                Ron Betser
                The problem with using excel is that the points I am putting are being done by picking the center of components. This way if my components move the points move also. I can't locate the points until those components are positioned. To use excel I would need to write down the locations of those points enter them in then scale them and re enter the new numbers if the components need to be moved. Also I am not sure how to scale it by turning it into a feature becasue I have many points. Really all I need is when I use scale entities under the move entities drop down menu for it to make some sort of relation like linear pattern does so I can kep things constrained. Maybe this is more of a enhancement request than a question. Unless there is another tool I don't know of.
                    Mark Kaiser
                    Ron,

Neither of the options I suggested will work for you either?

I'm also a little confused on your process. Are you drawing you sketch with the points first and then placing your components (mating them to the sketch points), or are you placing your components then defining the sketch points to the components?
                        Ron Betser
                        I am postioning points at the center of the parts. What I am trying to accomplish is simulating the thermoforming machine travel. So in the first station I have the mold where the plastic is formed. Then the next station is further down the line we'll say 36 inches for an example in that station the parts are diecut. In the die station the dies need to have the same spacing as the mold station except they need to be scaled .0025 per inch because the plastic has shrunk from the forming station. So what I do now dimension the points in the first station. I have to make the dimension derived because the points are fully defined. Then I copy the points to the next station and use an equation dimension so it equals the derived dimension x .9975. This way if I need to change my spacing in the first station the other stations will keep the same spacing with the proper scale. I could copy the points and use the scale command but if I do that and update the first station the die station won't updated.