5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2017 9:57 AM by Frans Labuschagne

Link balloon text to BOM

Frans Labuschagne

Hello Everybody

I am having trouble with connecting balloons to the BOM on my drawings.  So far it has only happened when I display a single part from my assembly.

In the balloon properties, the option to link the balloon text to a specified table is greyed out. In the assembly where the item appears, the number is fine but not in the part view itself. See the picture bellow.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Currently I am manually entering text into the specified balloon; however, this creates a lot of problems and takes up a lot of time as you can imagine.

• Re: Link balloon text to BOM
          Jitendra Gahalot

Hi Frans,

Have you inserted BOM table before adding balloons to your drawing, since the drop-down list for selecting BOM table is empty.

Adam Humphries

Hello Frans,

I have taken a look at the SOLIDWORKS Knowledgeable and it suggests this issue is related to two possible things.

1. add-ins -

To resolve this problem, enable all add-ins in the Tools -> Add-Ins menu.  If the problem is resolved, it may be possible to identify the specific add-in which resolves the problem by a process of elimination.

Disable the add-ins on by one until the problem reappears

2. Registry - for this i would recommend a registry reset.

Ensure solidworks is closed down

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > SolidWorks

I normally right mouse click on the SolidWorks folder, select rename and rename it as an old registry with date i did it, something like this: - "SolidWorks_Old_DD.MM.YY"

When you boot SOLIDWORKS again all the settings should have been reset to default, so you will need to agree to the licensing agreement again etc.

re-open and try the drawing again

if neither of these options work i would try recreating the drawing in a different drawing template as it may have become corrupt some how.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or not

Adam

Frans Labuschagne

Hi

I ran into the problem again the other day. 

It seems like the error was that I set up two conflicting BOM's.  When I set the second 1 to not change the part number, the problem seemed to be solved.