3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2017 5:22 AM by Ivana Kolin

A few newbie questions regarding Stand-Alone Applications

Rainer Schätzlein

Hi Everyone,

i'm totaly new to SolidWorks API development, hovewer experienced when it comes to .NET (C#, WinForms, WPF etc) stuff. A few word about my enviorment:

We're a automation company with around 15 SolidWorks workstations. Im trying to use the SW API in a Stand-Alone App to exract informations about componentrefernces and parent-child relations automaticaly (which is done by hand right now). Right now, its really hard for me to find a good point to start.

Could you help me with some hints and tips? Most of the example code in the official API-Help doesn't execute on my pc.

I have some questions where i'm having a hard time to find answers:

• Which .dll / namespace is the right one when i'm just trying to crawl throught the object tree of SW and gather some information like componentreference e.t.c?
      • Do i have to have the full solid works software installed on my local pc to run such a stand alone application that utilizes the dlls?
      • Can i just reference to the interop dlls that i can find in the api/redist folder of solid works or do they need to be registered anywhere?
      • I've tried to install the Solid Works API SDK, but absolutely nothing happend. No new folder unter C:/Program Files/ e.t.c

I'm really grateful for any information right now, since i've spend already a day with this topic without making any progress.

Thanks guys!