18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2018 5:23 PM by Matthew Henion

Out of Context Derived Sketch Plane

Matt Peneguy

I have an assembly with a derived sketch from the sketch plane F.G. Elevation from a part above it in the feature tree:

If I go up the feature tree in the assembly, you can see F.G. Elevation plane right here:

How does this happen, and more importantly how do I prevent it from happening again?

I know it is simple enough to fix by editing the sketch plane, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

• Re: Out of Context Derived Sketch Plane
          Dan Pihlaja

A few questions:

1) If you go back to editing the assembly and hit CTRL Q, does it fix this?

2) Could you possible have another part (that was originally referenced) with the exact same filename as 2017-H.001498-00?  If so, could it be possible that the program opened up the wrong part because you had the wrong part open last and didn't close and re-open Solidworks (to reset the RAM that was used with the session of Solidworks)?

Matt Peneguy

1. I did a Rebuild All Configs just to check and that didn't fix it.

2. I don't think so, but you bring up a good point.  See below.

I've had some quirky things going on with this assembly...Mostly SWX fault as far as I'm concerned.  I was using a speedpack for performance reasons and SWX thought there was a circular reference and was crashing on me and I guess it could have lost the reference during one of the crashes.  I deleted the speedpack and now the assembly doesn't crash on me, but I noticed that out of context reference and was curious if other people had noticed that kind of thing.

Dan Pihlaja

Matt Peneguy wrote:

1. I did a Rebuild All Configs just to check and that didn't fix it.

2. I don't think so, but you bring up a good point. See below.

I've had some quirky things going on with this assembly...Mostly SWX fault as far as I'm concerned. I was using a speedpack for performance reasons and SWX thought there was a circular reference and was crashing on me and I guess it could have lost the reference during one of the crashes. I deleted the speedpack and now the assembly doesn't crash on me, but I noticed that out of context reference and was curious if other people had noticed that kind of thing.

Never used speedpak, so I can't comment there.  However, I am wondering if there is still some sort of ghosted speedpak reference buried in your assembly..   I wonder if it would be worth it to completely replace those two parts with new parts built from scratch.

Christian Chu

From the image, seems to me that the part is not fully constrained - it might not be stable to use a plane on this part for a derived sketch in assembly

John Stoltzfus

Matt Peneguy - unfortunately this is clearly a ONE and TWO  issue - I run across that all the time... I just had it happen yesterday with a sketch point in a drawing where it lost connection....

Matt Peneguy

Well, I wish I'd have pack and go'ed a version before I fixed it to get the VAR to look into for an SPR.  I may still open one up, regarding these darn holes:

I put them in at the assembly level and chose "Propagate to Parts" made sure I selected the bodies I want the holes in, and sometimes, seems random, but there is probably a trigger, my part goes red.  I have to go into the assembly and edit the hole wizard and bam! no more red.  I ran into this a while back and it was one of the reasons I abandoned the idea of top down modeling because it seemed that SWX didn't have it's stuff together regarding top down.