5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2017 8:31 AM by David Matula

Material changes

Keith Reeves

I have created a component which is aluminium, and I have several configurations as the part is anodised in several different colours. Each of these coloured parts has a unique part number, and on the manufacturing drawing, I want to list all of the parts with their unique numbers.

when I insert a BOM into the drawing it only brings up one part. I have even tried inserting the part several times, and configuring each of the views to a colour, but still only one part.

Any ideas

Keith

• Re: Material changes
          John Stoltzfus

Change this

Keith Reeves

Thanks for that but I have managed to get it done with design tables. However, I found that very laborious and as I have about 15 components to do, I think the easiest way is to create a simple table, copy it and paste it into the various drawings and edit the part number.

Not a very scientific approach, but as "time is money" this is much quicker than editing every part, to add a table, editing the table to get the appearance right, and then adding it into the drawing.

Quickest wins every time.

Dennis Dohogne

If you have one part that shows up in an assembly with different configurations you can easily control how it is treated in the BOM.  You can have all of them counted as the same or you can have them all treated as different.  All you need to do is play with these options in the BOM table:

Keith Reeves

Thanks for that, and I was aware of it. I can easily create one assembly, and then configure that so that I get the part numbers to change as I select the various assembly configurations, which makes the assembly process is controlled,but my problem is that I need to do that at component level. I need the guy making the parts to know that if he has a -1 at the end of his part number, it is silver. -2 would be black, -3 blue etc.  I am sure that I have found the way that solidworks can manage the situation, but it is not very user friendly.

David Matula

back in the day....when I had 3 or 4 materials a base part could be made out of.....I had one model one drawing and we would use an excel sheet...(now I think I would use a table) and that would give the 4 digit material part # to the part.  Never though about using the bom as that table....Never thought you could add a bom to a part drawing but wow I tried quickly and it did work....

The really neat thing was to use the design table to make all the assemblies....when one part would have a configuration change...talking about doing 30 assembly configs in no time at all....

the labor came in to creating all the drawings that went with them....save as change the config in view, rebuild, verify dims, title blocks save print, then start over....