17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 11:09 AM by John Koos

"PARTIAL SECTION" BOX GREYED OUT

John Koos

SW2016 SP3 "POS"

-ON THE DRAWING

-CROSS SECTION OF A BEARING, ABOUT AS SIMPLE AS IT GETS

-"PARTIAL SECTION" BOX IS GREYED OUT

I HAVE TO DRAG DIAMETERS INTO THE SECTION VIEW FROM THE TOP VIEW BUT THEY DO NOT GO.

I THEN NEED TO UN-CHECK "PARTIAL SECTION" IN ORDER TO DRAG THE DIM'S INTO THE VIEW BUT NOW "PARTIAL SECTION" IS GREYED OUT.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND FOUND A FIX?

IF I WAS DRAWING ON THE BOARD THE WHOLE PROJECT WOULD BE DONE BY NOW.

HERE WE ARE PAYING FOR A SOFTWARE THAT WE HAVE TO PROVE

ASKING FOR A FIX THAT MAY OR MAY NOT GET FIXED

FORCED TO PAY AGAIN IN ORDER TO KEEP UP WITH FIXES

SOUNDS LIKE A WIN/WIN UNLESS YOU'RE THE ONE HAVING TO USE THIS PRODUCT

• Re: "PARTIAL SECTION" BOX GREYED OUT
          John Stoltzfus

Hey John Koos

Sounds like Zero Tolerance Geometry  issue, can you move the partial section line just a tad - (PLUS ALL CAPS TYPE MEANS YOU ARE YELLING, MAYBE YOU WANT TO)

How about models or even pictures??

Matthew Lorono

John,

First, have you tried dragging the section view's cutting line to cut completely through the assembly?  Second, what format do you wish the diameter dimensions to take?  Do you want them as foreshortened linear dimensions or radius?

John Koos

I deleted the section view D-D, shown above, and recreated it, this took care of the problem.

Matthew Lorono

John, it's good the problem of Partial Section was resolved.  I am now interested in why you created dimensions in your parent to move to the section view.  We have functionality in newer releases that allow you to create dimension directly in derived views, and I'm interested to see if that isn't working with section views.

John Koos

Where I work we are pushed to continually improve, but since things have been working fine since WWII, do what we normally do.

We are on SW2016 sp3 and will be for a few years simply because it's not broke, yet.

We create the profile of parts on the front plane, section D-D. This is where we put our diameters. We normally keep bolt holes lined up so they show in D-D. This customer wants an outer race drawing with datum "A" on top and we locate a hole at 9:00 o-clock for section D-D, and similarly for the inner race.

Then they want an assembly dwg with the outer race flipped over and rotated and the inner race just rotated. Why, because they're a large conglomerate with their head in a poop-e place! I'm sure they never heard of the "KISS" system.

In order to get diameters into section D-D we have to drag and drop them from the top view. But! since they like to spin-flip-twist-BOPPIT! we have to trick it anyway we can to get dims to come in. this assy has the inner and outer holes "not" lined up, so I had to do a "jogged view". I'm sure this had something to do with the check box being greyed out for partial section. when dims do not like to be drug into section D-D we have to "un-check" partial section then drag and drop the dims.

matt, I would like to sell you some bearings. they need to be upgraded 3-5 times per year, this costs you time and money. these are called service packs. then I would like to sell you new and improved bearings each and every year. while you're at it please let me know what's wrong with these bearings so I may or may not fix them. wait! you need grease! that's extra. that too will be upgraded.

a CAD package should run like a Ferrari, it's what we pay for. it  should not be nickel and dimming the consumer to death!

we are pushed to get things done faster and faster, we are not paid to solve solidworks problems. solidworks should try fixing their own problems rather than charging people to do it for them.

John Stoltzfus

John Koos  wrote:

Where I work we are pushed to continually improve, but since things have been working fine since WWII, do what we normally do.

We are on SW2016 sp3 and will be for a few years simply because it's not broke, yet.

We create the profile of parts on the front plane, section D-D. This is where we put our diameters. We normally keep bolt holes lined up so they show in D-D. This customer wants an outer race drawing with datum "A" on top and we locate a hole at 9:00 o-clock for section D-D, and similarly for the inner race.

Then they want an assembly dwg with the outer race flipped over and rotated and the inner race just rotated. Why, because they're a large conglomerate with their head in a poop-e place! I'm sure they never heard of the "KISS" system.

In order to get diameters into section D-D we have to drag and drop them from the top view. But! since they like to spin-flip-twist-BOPPIT! we have to trick it anyway we can to get dims to come in. this assy has the inner and outer holes "not" lined up, so I had to do a "jogged view". I'm sure this had something to do with the check box being greyed out for partial section. when dims do not like to be drug into section D-D we have to "un-check" partial section then drag and drop the dims.

matt, I would like to sell you some bearings. they need to be upgraded 3-5 times per year, this costs you time and money. these are called service packs. then I would like to sell you new and improved bearings each and every year. while you're at it please let me know what's wrong with these bearings so I may or may not fix them. wait! you need grease! that's extra. that too will be upgraded.

a CAD package should run like a Ferrari, it's what we pay for. it should not be nickel and dimming the consumer to death!

we are pushed to get things done faster and faster, we are not paid to solve solidworks problems. solidworks should try fixing their own problems rather than charging people to do it for them.

It's called ONE and TWO ONE and TWO