2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2017 5:39 PM by Jason Capriotti

Can you populate a file card variable with query results?

Zachary Knezo

So, I'm working toward implementing a XML-based EC process with two parallel workflows in PDM Professional 2016

We're using a template to generate an EC cover sheet that contains the approval signature variables and any verification activities for the changes. This gets a serialized ECO number on creation.

The user submits all the relevant files to a CAD files workflow, with a dispatch on submission to tag them with the associated ECO number. This gets us an "implicit" link rather than a paste-as-reference.

The user submits the EC cover sheet to it's own workflow, the approvers get notified, and they then use a search card to return all documents with that ECO Number.

Approvers sign EC cover sheet, Doc Control is notified. If everything is A-OK, Doc Control transitions all the CAD files in their workflow.

My question is: Is there a way with vanilla PDM (without writing an API Add-In) to populate a value on the EC cover sheet with variable values from all records matching the ECO number? I'm not looking for interaction (the search card gets us this), but just a record of what files had that ECO number when submitting to the EC workflow.