10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 4:50 PM by Qi Lu

3D sketch tool how to

ALE AGU
      I am trying to draw a part on solidworks from a tutorial on http://www.solidworkstutorials...utorial-9-turbo-fins/
      when i get to step 7 i have no idea how to do it .Can you guys help.thank you
        • 3D sketch tool how to
          Deepak Gupta
          You need to use 3D sketch. A spline in 3D sketch. Start a new 3D sketch and make the splines. I will create the part till step 7 and will upload here.
            • 3D sketch tool how to
              Deepak Gupta
              Check the attached file. The file version is SW2008. Please note that the 3d spline may not be similar to what has been shown in the tutorial.

• Re: 3D sketch tool how to
                  Qi Lu

Hi Deepak,

I am studying 3D sketch and went to this thread. I downloaded your example, however, it seems that all features are shown in gray color color in the feature tree, and they cannot be made visible by "show/hide" toggling?

1.jpg

Qi

Deepak Gupta

Select all the features and unsuppress them. I suppressed them for the want of reducing the file size.

Qi Lu

Deepak,

What is the difference between hide and suppress?

I googled and found:

From Yahoo Answers http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080214181620AA1c6AJ

What is the difference between hide and suppress in unigraphics?

what is the difference between hide and suppress in unigraphics? can u explain?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

I know the difference between the two for Pro/E and SolidWorks. To hide is to graphically "not show" and item on part of the model or assembly on the screen. It is however, still a part of the model. To supress an item is to not rebuild (or regenerate) it when the model is rebuilt. In other words, supressing it takes it out of all equations like mass or interference calculations. This saves redrawing and computing time. I have some good examples if you'd like to explore them, just let me know.

And although  there is a blog article Hide vs. Suppressed in SolidWorks Assemblies on Solidworks blog, it is about assembly rather than part.

But I guess the above Yahoo answer to unigraphics also applies to SW? If we consider SW's workflow as a pipeline, "suppress" should work at a stage before "hide", like:

----------------------------->suppress (interference calculation, etc.)---------->hide (rendering)

So "suppress" should effectively make SW's work load lighter, as comparing to "hide"?

However, I still cannot understand why

I suppressed them for the want of reducing the file size.

suppressisng could reduce file size.

Qi

Alin Vargatu

Qi Lu wrote:

However, I still cannot understand why

I suppressed them for the want of reducing the file size.

suppressisng could reduce file size.

To save time when opening the models, SolidWorks includes the actual genometry in the file. so if you suppress stuff, you potentially  simplify that geometry.

That being said, some people would just add a big extrude-boss feature at the end, to consume the whole model before saving. That will result in an extremely small file size (maybe for email purposes). When re-opening the file, just suppress the last feature and you have your huge model.

Qi Lu

Alin,

Wonderful  Fully understood now.

Could you also comment on the comparison between "suppress" and "hide"? Does that

----------------------------->suppress (interference calculation, etc.)---------->hide (rendering)

pipeline explanation make sense?

Qi

Alin Vargatu

Qi Lu wrote:

Does that

pipeline explanation make sense?

Yes, it does. If something is suppressed will not render. If something will not render (because it is hidden) it does not mean it is suppressed.

Qi Lu

Alin,

To save time when opening the models, SolidWorks includes the actual genometry in the file. so if you suppress stuff, you potentially simplify that geometry.

That being said, some people would just add a big extrude-boss feature at the end, to consume the whole model before saving. That will result in an extremely small file size (maybe for email purposes). When re-opening the file, just suppress the last feature and you have your huge model.

I have found "hide" also reduces file size, this is understandable because SW might also cache some rendering data to facilitte file opening. For example, I have a file which when:

• all features unsuppressed and shown: 296KB
                                            • all features hidden: 296KB
                                            • all features first hide then suppressed: 234KB
                                            • all features first show then suppressed: 234KB

I think this agrees with your statement that

"suppress implies hide,

but

hide does not imply suppress"

So we have reached a conclusion here.

Qi

• 3D sketch tool how to
                            ALE AGU
                            Thank you for the reply.I still have a lot to learn.