3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 12:54 PM by Shannon Scott

control GRID display per drawing sheet

Shannon Scott

I'd like to use the DISPLAY GRID attribute on a single sheet in a drawing - but not ALL the sheets. Looks to be an all or nothing :-(

Having perused the forum and help files I'm not seeing any indication that this is possible but thot' it worth an ask.

My workaround has been to use a different DWG for the grid'ed vs non-grid sheets but I would prefer to keep all the drawing sheets in a single file.

Any suggestions or comments welcomed - thanks!

-s

• Re: control GRID display per drawing sheet
          Rollin Shultz

Until there is a fix, I suggest you create a "Sheet Format" with the grid lines which you can then load on a per sheet basis. Check tutorials for create and edit sheet formats. You can create a layer for grid lines as well and turn them on or off as needed.

Rollin Shultz

Josh Brady

Grid display is indeed a document level setting, and you can't specify on a sheet-by-sheet basis.  It's been this way ever since I started using SW in 2003 or so.  So as for a "fix" I definitely wouldn't hold my breath.  There's a toolbar button that you can put in a handy location, or even on the S-key shortcut menu, that you can use to quickly toggle the grid on and off.

What is your purpose/usage of the grid?  Are you actually printing it?  If so, I would definitely say you should follow Rollin's advice and make a sheet format with gridlines on it.  If the gridlines are on the sheet format you don't have to worry about accidentally selecting them or having them get in the way.  You can also make the lines where they do not extend beyond the border or into the title block, which will look much nicer.

Shannon Scott

thank you Josh and Rollin for your responses. I realize its and odd request and one for which I'm not looking for a 'fix' per se. Was hoping there was some magical hidden sheet attribute toggle that I wasnt immediately finding ;-)

The grid sheet is intended to provide a fabricator with scaling a prototype incorporating some simple splines. Many businesses these days will take STL and never have to interp points - but not everybody and thats fine. I also dont want the grid clutter on the other sheets in the drawing pack.

Good call on embedding grid in the sheet format, a little more work for me to do but will probably find uses somewhere down the road.

Again thanks all