7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 3:14 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Beginner SolidWorks Questions

Tad Nelson

Hey Community,

I'm brand new to the SolidWorks world and I'm learning on my own. I've done the first few tutorials and I've been following some videos but I figured it would be good for me to do exercise problems. I came across a website called PracticalStudent.com which has four different difficulties of exercises. I'm on the easy section and I've been able to do every single problem except for the 3rd and 8th which are very similar. Attached below is the problem that I have been working on. I can make the general shape but I can't seem to extrude cut the sides so that they will join together at an angle. I've gotten really close I think by making a reference plane along the joint of the two walls but when I try to use the extrude cut tool and give it a direction it gets all messed up. I also included the eighth problem below too which is Capture1.jpg.

Can anyone help me? I feel like I shouldn't be using the extrude cut tool because it looks like you can't adjust the end of the extrude cut just the face that it starts from.

• Re: Beginner SolidWorks Questions
          Krzysztof Pluta

Hello,

I think it will be good to use a different features to each question:

1. Make two planes (3-point based) and then use "Intersect" feature.

2. Create a plane (10 mm offset from bottom face) and make a sketch. Then use a "Boundry Cut" feature between sketch and top face.

J. Mather

Two Extrudes.

No 3D sketch.

No extra workplanes.Two Extrudes.png

No chamfers.

No cutting.

No drafts.

Two Extrudes Too.png

For those who might be using an earlier release -

I created Sketch1 of triangle on the Front Plane.

Then I created Sketch2 of triangle on Right Plane.

Normally I would have put the sketches with the Origin at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical lines rather than at the inclined line (will work either way), but I did it as shown so that the dimensions when Annotations>Show Dimensions would show at the front of the part rather than being obscured at the back.

Sketches.PNG

Then it was a simple matter of Extrude Sketch1 to the furthest Vertex in Sketch2 and then Extrude Sketch2 Through All.

As a test - see of you can do it with the Origin at the intersection of the Horizontal and Vertical lines in both Sketch1 and 2.

Dan Pihlaja

J. Mather wrote:

Two Extrudes.

No 3D sketch.

No extra workplanes.Two Extrudes.png

No chamfers.

No cutting.

No drafts.

Two Extrudes Too.png

For those who might be using an earlier release -

I created Sketch1 of triangle on the Front Plane.

Then I created Sketch2 of triangle on Right Plane.

Normally I would have put the sketches with the Origin at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical lines rather than at the inclined line (will work either way), but I did it as shown so that the dimensions when Annotations>Show Dimensions would show at the front of the part rather than being obscured at the back.

Sketches.PNG

Then it was a simple matter of Extrude Sketch1 to the furthest Vertex in Sketch2 and then Extrude Sketch2 Through All.

As a test - see of you can do it with the Origin at the intersection of the Horizontal and Vertical lines in both Sketch1 and 2.

Very cool JD.  Not sure why I couldn't see this in the beginning.   I was looking at it from a different perspective I guess. 

Wojciech Paterski

few ways to do it. chamfers, draft face, cut extrude from 3d sketch, etc....

Dan Pihlaja

For your picture in capture 1:

I am with J. Mather on this one.  2 extrudes makes it easy.

Just create a plane that is 45 degrees from your front plane and then extrude a triangle from the front plane up to the surface.

The do it again from your right plane

Dan Pihlaja

For your picture in capture 2, might be a little more complicated because you don't know if the intersection plane between the two extrudes is 45 degrees.

But you can get there.  I used surfacing in this one (thought it was easiest):

Basically, just make the 60 x 90 x 40 block, then extrude 3 surfaces.  1 is the 10mm offset floor, 2 and 3 are the 2 angles.

Then trim them all to each other, knit them and use "Cut with Surface".