9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2017 3:05 PM by Randika Kosala

How to setup goal to measure flow rate?

Randika Kosala

Hi,

Can anyone kindly advise me how to set goals to measure flow rate through each pipe as circulated in below image?

For instance, how to measure flow rate inside a hollow pipe without generating perpendicular lid/surface.

Thank you very much.

• Re: How to setup goal to measure flow rate?
          Ryan Dark

Hi Randika,

To measure the flows from the outlet of each tank you would need to create lids (cylindrical extrusions) covering each of the outlets you wish to measure.  You would then go to the 'Input Data' folder of your Flow Project, right click it, go to 'Component Control' and disable these lids from being used as solids in your calculation.  The lid bodies can now be used to measure the flow through those volumes.  You can assign goals to the lid faces/volumes or use 'Volume Parameters' to take measurements from those areas/volumes after the calculation completes.  The final setup looks somewhat like this:

I've also attached the test model I made if you want to look through that as well.

Randika Kosala

Many thanks, Ryan. It works perfectly well.

By the way, as you can see in below image, the flow trajectories don't run through the whole system. My inlet flow rate is 20 mm^3/s and exit is at 1 atm. I have considered gravity in -Y direction. Further, I have optimized the inlet and outlet manifolds taper such that the flow rate through every tube is approximately 5 mm^3/s using the method you have explained above. A line of advice to sort this issue is highly appreciated. Sorry for the trouble as I'm quite new to fluid dynamics and SolidWorks Flow.

Cheers.

Ryan Dark

Randika,

Looking at how the flow trajectories you have generated don't even completely go through the system and out the exit you may have some kind of bug on your hands.  I don't see any specific open SPRs so I suspect there are some specific settings in your flow trajectory definition leading to this behavior.  My own flow trajectory plot does not seem to have any issue completing here in 2017 SP3.0 (the version I was using to make that example model) which is shown below.

One thing you may wish to do is also select the outlet lid face for the definition of your flow trajectories as these may help show a more complete picture of the flow trajectories.

Dan Pihlaja

I am not a flow guy....but wouldn't something like this get you more symmetrical flow into each tank?

(just an example):